3.0 Live

Discussion in 'Star Citizen' started by HittingSmoke, Dec 26, 2017.

3.0 Live

Discussion in 'Star Citizen' started by HittingSmoke, Dec 26, 2017.

1. HittingSmoke

HittingSmoke AoA Emeritus

This is a real game now. You can load ships up with cargo from trade hubs or salvage stuff from space to store in your ship. Planetary landing is completely functional. You can load up ground vehicles into your ships and take them around with you or drive around on the surface. NPCs are functional. There are quite a few missions to do and many more ships flyable than I expected in 3.0. Persistence is also 50%. If you log back into the same instance (rare) you can pick up where you left off but it doesn't work cross-instance so you'll rarely get it to function since you can't choose your server.

Performance on my modest machine has been playable. It was awful when it first went live because a chain interdiction bug was causing hundreds of NPC pirates to spawn. Depending on how many people are on my server I get 20-50ish FPS.

Been doing trade runs today. It's a bit of a gamble because of crashes and half-done persistence, but it's fun.
    Rhyus, Fell and Vara-dan like this.
  2. Fell

Fell Guild Admin Staff Member

I heard it went off PTU but didn’t have much time over Xmas. I did try some stuff that last flight night I scheduled. Thanks for the quick post, I’d love to kick the tires with some folks if anyone is interested
    Vara-dan likes this.
  3. HittingSmoke

Issues have been growing as the servers run while CIG is out for Christmas. A couple game-breaking. Crashes when approaching major hubs make trading very difficult as you crash when coming in with a haul and lose it. There are a couple of different bugs that make it impossible to put your helmet back on so you can't go outside to enter a ship. One of them is persistent and actually makes you unable to play until CIG fixes it.

As some server instances age responsiveness for certain things like quantum travel gets so low that it breaks the game. There's a pretty regular throttle-sticking issue after jumping that can make it difficult to land. Some ships fairly regularly spawn with no interactable items. As in they're missing, not static. No seats or doors. The UI colors are still obviously not finishes as you can't see the white MISC flight HUD or your MobiGlass in many situations where the backdrop is white. After first opening MobiGlass every time you open it after the projection effect is way too bright and makes it difficult to read. There's a consistent bug when taking a mission to retrieve an item, the delivery NPC won't interact with you to accept it. The Freelancer has this weird HUD issue where you approach a planet and there's some sort of circular graphic that looks like it's supposed to be a model of the planet or some sort of night vision where the minimap would be but it's not useful for anything except blocking your view.

So as for client-side game-breaking bugs, there are surprisingly few. Performance is still all over the place but I'm getting very playable sessions still as far as framerate goes. I dip down around 20FPS in a bad instance. 15 when it's really bad but no more of that 5FPS shit. Moving the game and swap to an SSD helped a ton. Most of the "literally unplayable" issues seem to be server-side and depend on how long a particular instance has been spinning before getting killed.

Here's a video of me attempting my first trade run at Levski. I didn't know how to land yet because I didn't read the patch notes:

After I got inside and got my bearings I spawned a Starfarer and loaded some cargo. Here's me getting the cargo and flying to Olisar to sell:

Bnorus and Martinfort like this.
  4. Fell

Man that’s great you’ve been testing it out. Have you sent any bug info to CIG? I was gonna get on today but found out when I loaded the PTU it killed my live install so I have to start over. Will wait til kids get off my Xbox because that sucks down a lot of bandwidth and I don’t feel like metering it.

I’m curious about the specific bug you mentioned about ships spawning without parts. There was an issue of bugsmashers where they talked about incomplete insurance spawns and issues they had to solve regarding item hierarchies. They had to create a process to correctly reproduce all the sub parts of an insurance claim (which effectively is spawning the ship and all its components) and the bug you’re talking about sounds an awful lot like the item relationship issues they were walking through. I believe their fix had to be implemented ship by ship- it wasn’t a global fix so maybe some variations on the same issue are cropping up.
    --- Double Post Merged, Dec 30, 2017, Original Post Date: Dec 30, 2017 ---
    that issue by the way was a server side issue for sure
  5. HittingSmoke

I read somewhere that it was a previously-fixed issues that had a regression but I wasn't in the PTU so I don't know. I binged playing for a couple days then as the crashes started to get more frequent I spent a while on the issue council reporting and marking issues.
  6. Arcfire

Arcfire Guild Admin Staff Member

I've experienced most of the bugs you mention to some degree. Ships occasionally spawn without interactable parts, but it's pretty infrequent. Throttle has been sticking forward every now and then, meaning I scrape along a landing pad and get wedged into a wall (ATC still manages to store my ship for me half the time though lol). Haven't run into the helmet stuck off bug yet luckily. I haven't messed with trading much, but have been attempting the deliver missions with about a 1 in 5 success rate. Either the box interactions bug out, or the drop off point just refuses to acknowledge the presence of the box when I try to deliver it. Kind of a PITA.

Upside is that performance seems a lot better, with occasional drags in olisar and levski. After messing with cfg a bit I am getting between 25-35 fps most of the time, provided the server isn't in death throes.
  7. HittingSmoke

You can fix the throttle stick by using autoland. Deploy your landing gear, point the nose of your ship at the indicated pad, and just fly into the green beam while holding N. Even if you're going to fast to follow through with autoland it will set your throttle to 0.
  8. Bnorus

Bnorus Veteran Member

I'm still waiting for some hotfix when everyone at CIG comes back to work. It's barely playable on my end getting 10-15fps. I will try to ping AoA on Discord this weekend, we need to organize a trading boarding party on HittingSmoke Freelancer :D
    Cirsphe likes this.
  9. Arcfire

Arcfire Guild Admin Staff Member

Sure just don't forget to ask him to leave the doors unlocked for you lol.
  10. HittingSmoke

Swap speed is critical, especially if you have less than 16GB of RAM. If you have an SSD move your game and swap to it. If not, try to find a really fast USB3 flash drive laying around and let Windows configure it for ReadyBoost.
  11. syberghost

syberghost Guild Admin Staff Member

If you're going to mess with ReadyBoost, that "really fast USB3 drive" advice is critical; even a mediocre 7200 RPM drive is faster than USB2, you'll just slow things down unless you're pushing USB3 pretty hard. A fast drive on fast port on a bus that's not doing anything else.
    HittingSmoke likes this.
  12. Cirsphe

Cirsphe Veteran Member

Note that you can't use readyboost if you have an SSD harddrive.

Also with Bnorus on waiting for some hotfixes. Looking at the updated roadmap, which is really cool btw, I am waiting for 3.1 to see the Redeemer in game, then I probably won't come back to it till next year.
  13. HittingSmoke

I've not spent any more time in the PU, mainly because cross-instance persistence isn't in yet so it makes doing anything a pain in the ass when you lose everything in a crash.

In 3.1 I'm going to get my Reclaimer and Terrapin. So you can bet I'll be playing a shit load when that patch hits. I'll have the biggest flyable ship in the game for multi-crew and the Terrapin for solo fun. Unfortunately that means I'll lose my Freelancer so for cargo runs that means go big or go home since the Terrapin has no fucking cargo hold.
    Bnorus likes this.
  14. Fell

Who do you fly with? You’re not on my game friends list but would love to get out and do some multiplayer in live. Personally I’m waiting to see the Idris. I’ll be waiting a looooooong time
  15. HittingSmoke

I've not done much multiplayer other than for testing out mechanics. There's not much incentive right now since you can't share profits in any way yet. Gahd and I got in an Ursa and drove across Yela once trying to catch a sunset. Manning a turret with low FPS is a lot more difficult than flying so that doesn't work well either. In 3.1 the entity culling should prove performance considerably so it will be more playable. That's important with Reclaimers being implemented. That's a big ship for everyone to be rendering all the time.

I'm HittingSmoke in game. Feel free to add me. I've been playing a bit of the FPS lately.
  16. HittingSmoke

Persistence is coming in 3.1 meaning if you crash or log out you'll end up not losing any progress. That means I'll be playing a lot more since all is not lost every time you crash.
    Bnorus and Fell like this.
  17. HittingSmoke

Soon...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  18. Fell

remind me which ship that is? it's one I don't have and it's badass looking, might have to sell something to get a warbonded version...
  19. HittingSmoke

That's the Reclaimer. It's a salvage ship. That thing on the bottom is a claw with cutting lasers and tractor beams to rip ships into pieces. The pieces are retrieved by drones and taken inside a special cargo hold where they get processed by a gigantic shredder into raw materials. It's going to be in 3.1 and it will be the largest ship in the game. They had to make the landing pads on Olisar larger to accommodate it. Based on the planned VTOL heat mechanics, it might be the largest ship that's easily landable on planets.

I had a Starfarer that I got in trade for some work. The minute the Reclaimer went on sale I melted the Starfarer and bought this big bitch. It's inspired by the Nostromo from Alien. The interior is very similar and the dining room is actually a nearly 1:1 copy of the dining room on the Nostromo as seen in the movie. It's a very very cool ship.
  20. Fell

I think I want a piece of that one. Sounds amazing.