Civilization VI

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Arcfire, Aug 11, 2016.

Civilization VI

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Arcfire, Aug 11, 2016.

1. Arcfire

Arcfire Guild Admin Staff Member

2. stat

stat Division Leader

I love the Civ series, but I'm going to wait to pick this one up until it's at least 50% off. The aesthetic in this one is off-putting to me, besides, you know theres going to be an assload of DLC for it.

There was a 52 minute gameplay video posted on Polygon a couple of weeks ago. I liked it a lot watching through it, and warmed me up to the aesthetic more, but its still somewhat out of place for me.
    Rhyus likes this.
  3. Arcfire

I'll probably bite the bullet at release because I'm loving everything I've seen so far.

I've heard a lot of gripes about the art, that it perhaps looks a bit too clean or sterile, but I think there is a lot of technical consideration that factored into the decision.
    - more buildings out on the map means a lot more work for artists, especially when wonders and districts have multiple constructions states, so going with a theme that avoids a lot of greebly details probably helps lighten the work load.
    - they have put a lot of work into the lighting engine, including normal mapping, so being more deliberate with your polygon use probably saves on lighting computations and might result in a smoother game. Civ V could get pretty damn choppy even on pretty beastly computers when it came to zooming around the map while calculating AI turns.
    - they've also said that a main concern with the art is trying to make features stand out better against terrain. Whether they have fully achieved that goal is certainly up for debate, though. I never had much issue with it in Civ V but perhaps others did?

They threw away most of the engine and started from scratch again this time around, with hopes of making the system more friendly to modders, so if enough people are really dead set against some aspect of the art, perhaps we will see re-skins that tweak the color pallets etc. to something more acceptable for people in that camp?

All I know is I've been bothered for years about how Civ always tried to cram every bit of your city into a single tile, until it was an illegible mess. Finally being able to sprawl out your development is going to be awesome.

IMHO Ed Beach saved Civ V with the expansions, and knowing that he has had the reigns on this one from day one gives me a lot of hope, considering what those other guys did with the hot garbage that was Beyond Earth.

Maybe I'm a bit of a whale when it comes to Firaxis, but even when you factor in the loss on Beyond Earth, I've probably gotten about 650 hours of entertainment for about $150 over the past 5 years, roughly a quarter per hour of fun. If you graph that ratio against most what most AAA games give you for your money, it seems like a damn fine investment to me.
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2016
  4. syberghost

syberghost Guild Admin Staff Member

Remember when 25 cents got you a guaranteed 90 seconds in Space War? Those were the good old days.
    Arcfire likes this.
  5. Arcfire

Can't say I do old timer.
  6. Arcfire

[​IMG]

I'm mountain time, so tomorrow night at 10PM for me. AKA 1 day 4 hours 13 minutes.

Attached Files:

7. Rhyus

Rhyus Veteran Member

I've played Civ from the earliest days. Since the game no longer was being produced/written/published by MicroProse Software, the game has gotten more and more "difficult". What I mean by that is that they have added a lot of aesthetics to game that use to be handled behind the scenes in the earlier games. Now, you have districts, which you have to have an open hex spot to be able to build, which use to be buildings inside the city. Now, with the Wonders, you have to build it on or next to a resource. This is blowing the game up and making it more difficult and more complex that it really should be. I'm not sure if I'm going to get this or not, maybe when 7 comes out and this game is below $10.
  8. Arcfire

To each their own, but the things you just listed are basically my favorite things about the new game. As a person who has played a fair bit of EU IV, I think a little more complexity is not really a bad thing for this franchise. I think the only one I never played was Civ II.
  9. stat

stat Division Leader

I want to try 6. I don't really care that much about the way it looks anymore. I'm burned the fuck out on Civ 5, and never cared that much for 4. The increased difficulty and new mechanics sound fun. I want to play this.
  10. Fell

Fell Guild Admin Staff Member

I feel a need for something different, this might fit the bill. I'm playing Gears of War on XBone these days, i feel like my PC game/guitar room is getting zero love. Won't be home for this launch (SFO for the weekend) but if there seems to be reasonably positive views on this among AoAers i think i might jump in
  11. Allomein

Allomein AoA Emeritus

I really like the civ games and will likely get this because, well, Civ! But I have little time for another game right now :(
  12. Fell

I've never played this franchise so I'm kinda going on a limb to jump in for this one, but people seem to have sworn by it for ages so I figure it has to be low risk right?
    Rhyus likes this.
  13. Allomein

Allomein AoA Emeritus

Honestly the prior versions are great too, so if you can pick up an older civ for cheap right now you might as well give it a go....there is a huge volume of DLC and user content
    Rhyus likes this.
  14. Arcfire

I ended up getting mine for 20% off through Green Man Gaming. The sales periods seem to come and go, so keep an eye out.

So far one of the best Civ launches ever. Biggest issues seem to be some missing options (sounds like they are hidden and being worked out still), along with some UI weirdness here and there that should get patched down the line.

TB does a good job of pointing out some of the flaws, and also brought up a couple hidden .ini tweaks that could be useful.
  15. Bnorus

Bnorus Veteran Member

Count me in for some games if I'm around! We played tons of Civ with @Cirsphe and CIV6 will be on the list !
    Cirsphe likes this.
  16. Fell

How is the sound in the game? I met the lead audio dev on the rental car bus in Denver last week, told him we had a clan of guys who were into his game and he opened up about the 11+hours of audio assets in the title which according to him is fairly epic for a AAA title...
  17. Arcfire

Good.

18. Bnorus

Bnorus Veteran Member

I found myself singing the russian song last night while crushing his army o_O:eek:
    Cirsphe and Rhyus like this.