Cloverfield Paradox

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by syberghost, Feb 5, 2018.

Cloverfield Paradox

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by syberghost, Feb 5, 2018.

1. syberghost

syberghost Guild Admin Staff Member

So, for the last couple of years, right up through yesterday afternoon, it was "unnamed Cloverfield sequel", with no details about release date etc. I actually had occasion to look it up on IMDB yesterday, it was still that.

During the Superbowl it became "oh, BTW, after the game, Cloverfield Paradox releases on Netflix."

So that's a thing.

2. HittingSmoke

HittingSmoke AoA Emeritus

I didn't notice the release date in the commercial so when I was texting someone about it after the game. Looked it up and said "Oh. Huh"
  3. AndyCapp

AndyCapp Veteran Member

I watched it, not a bad flick. I am not going to set them up side by side though and watch both at the same time, they are not that good lol!
  4. HittingSmoke

I thought it was pretty bad. Not horrible, but I have no intention of ever watching it again. The basic plot was given away by the news cast they were watching before they first fired it. The holes were filled in as soon as they found the strange chick in the wall who was mysteriously wearing one of their uniforms. They whole thing was trying to build up to a climax that never happened. It was just a string of things going wrong and false starts.
    Bnorus, AndyCapp and syberghost like this.
  5. syberghost

And then, at the last second, a little bit Cloverfield. Sort of.
    AndyCapp and HittingSmoke like this.
  6. HittingSmoke

90 minutes of almost plot for two seconds of monster roar.
    AndyCapp likes this.
  7. Fell

Fell Guild Admin Staff Member

hmmm, i'll probably watch it this weekend. Just wrapping up Altered Carbon which was very blade-runner-y and necro all at once. I'm trying to decide if I liked it, I think I did. Cloverfield looks similarly flashy but has a lower time commitment so i'll watch anyway.
    AndyCapp likes this.
  8. AndyCapp

AndyCapp Veteran Member

Altered Carbon is 1000% better than the new Clover field flick. I am going to go back and give that season another watch because it was pretty awesome.
  9. HittingSmoke

I learned that this, like 10 Cloverfield Lane, was not shot as a Cloverfield movie. It was an original movie that had scenes added after shooting with the Cloverfield name tagged on for marketing. I imagine because they realized what kind of piece of shit they had on their hands. After hearing that, I started going over the scenes and it all snapped into focus. There are exactly two scenes in this movie that in any way tie it into the Cloverfield universe other than dialog with the word "Cloverfield" in it. When dude is driving around the city while there's a giant shadowy monster figure in the background that he's completely ignoring, and the final scene. The rest of the Cloverfield tie-ins are just the word Cloverfield shoehorned in over and over, while in one exterior shot of the station that actually forgot to edit the name.
  10. syberghost

It was originally "God Particle". I only caught one mention of the Higgs Boson in the final cut but I bet they said it a lot during filming.
  11. Fell

Fell Guild Admin Staff Member

I finally watched it. No words.
    syberghost and HittingSmoke like this.