Destiny 2

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by syberghost, Mar 28, 2017.

Destiny 2

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by syberghost, Mar 28, 2017.

1. syberghost

syberghost Guild Admin Staff Member

If you got a beta code from somewhere (as opposed to buying the game directly from Battle net) the redemption thing is alive. If it's not working, exit and restart the app, it might just need to update.

Beta starts Monday.
  2. stat

stat Division Leader

Last edited: Aug 24, 2017
  3. syberghost

Yeah, I think for every person that is mad that he can't use a chat overlay or one mode of his streaming software, there's going to be one glad you can't use an aimbot or a wallhack. We'll have to see how it works out, but most of the folks I've seen talking about it so far see it as a minor annoyance that will be worthwhile if it has a measurable impact on hacking, and will not be worthwhile if it doesn't. We'll see.
  4. syberghost

Preload gogogo

[​IMG]
    Fell likes this.
  5. Fell

Fell Guild Admin Staff Member

awesome, report back here how it's going, I still haven't decided to entirely forego PC. Maybe after I get campaign done on PS4 I could go dual platform. Assuming RL doesn't keep kicking my ass that is...
  6. syberghost

It's butter smooth at 3440x1440. Like, crazy smooth.

Not much content in this beta; you do the opener (but with no tutorial; just story, you gotta look in the config to see the controls), then you have three choices to repeat:

1 strike
    1 pickup PvP
    1 premade PvP

lather, rinse, repeat

Also it uses your Battle Net friends list, as you'd expect for a game on that platform. It's got a section for Clan stuff on the friends list, but no Clans turned on yet.

It's only a three day beta; today is preorders only, tomorrow and Wednesday are Open.
  7. stat

stat Division Leader

Meh, watching various streamers have given me the information I want to know about PC. I'm passing.
  8. syberghost

Open beta now live.
  9. Arcfire

Arcfire Guild Admin Staff Member

So, having played the beta yesterday for a bit, I've come away with a mixed impression. On the upside, the core of the game seems solid, and what few maps I saw were good sized and beautiful. The story, while generic, was present, which sounds like an improvement over D1 from what I hear.

The thing is, I have no idea how to guess at how much content will be in said maps at release. Three classes doesn't seem like all that much variety, basically Tank/DPS/Support. Seems like most of the customization will come from weapon/armor load-out, and mods for said pieces of equipment.

Not sure how I feel about power weapons. They are fun to use, but the ammo count seems ridiculously low, especially in pvp mode. BUT, there is also apparently a skill tree tied to these power weapons, which means maybe you can upgrade capacity, damage, etc.?

Basically, I'm on the hook, but I'm going to wait and watch some streams of the console release to get a better impression of how much content is in the game. The fact that they already have TWO content expansions lined up as a separate additional purchase has me worried that there might not be much in the game at release...
  10. syberghost

11. Arcfire

I see, so customization is more deep than wide. I wish they had spelled more of this out for us first timers. Guess I'll try to find those subclass menus tonight.

Another thing I wonder about is whether there are any weapon restrictions between the main three classes, as far as what can go in your three weapon slots.
  12. syberghost

I don't think we have access to the trees; we're given level 200 characters with their powers filled out already, although you can go and pick from a short list to bind to the various slots, just like the weapons.
    --- Double Post Merged, Aug 30, 2017, Original Post Date: Aug 30, 2017 ---
    If you go into the character screen with F1, above the weapons are two diamonds, one large, one small. The large one is the subclass you currently are; click the smaller one and you can try the other subclass.
  13. Fell

On your weapon question, the more advanced weapons had more extensive customization trees and toggles to make trade offs between say, power and reload speed. If I'm not mistaken in D1 every class could use every weapon, I remember always trying to maintain one fire, one arc and one ice weapon of all my favorites gun styles. I was not a pistol guy but I really kept an arsenal of auto rifles, fusion rifles and you absolutely had to have a rocket launcher. Ammo drops were mad plentiful even for launchers, which is why perhaps the capacity was smaller than it seems prudent. Don't get me wrong there were stretches in campaign or strike or even raids where you really need a drop, particularly on the specialized guns, but I can only remember a couple times on really bad runs where I was literally shooting so poorly that I ran out of shit to shoot with.
  14. syberghost

With the exception of the "gold" weapon you get during the tutorial (I don't know what this is in Destiny terms, most games would call it Legendary) all the weapons in the beta have several choices for the toggles, and you've got several weapons for every "slot". I don't know if they're the same for everybody (I think they are), I had some kinetic weapons, some energy weapons, and within those I had weapons of a couple of different damage types. I also had something that said I could use it to turn a weapon into Kinetic damage that wasn't that already, but I didn't use it.

Since every Titan I have seen play got the same Legendary (a minigun that increases ROF as you hold down the trigger) I assume all Titans got the same weapon.

This was basically a stress test of the PvE and PvP systems, not a full beta. They unlocked a social area last night for a couple of hours, it was a field with a couple of run-down houses, a barn with a spaceship inside, and a soccer field with working goals that shot fireworks if you scored. Although the social area accommodated a lot of people, I'm quite certain it also had some sharding, since a guy on my friend list showed as being in "social" but wasn't there. Although there was text chat, I never saw anybody use it, nor did I hear anybody talking on the in-game voice chat in that area.
  15. syberghost

So here's a fun controversy, that will likely be resolved easily.

On consoles, there is aim assist. On PC, there is aim assist if you're using a controller, but not if you're using a mouse. People are hooking up a XIM4, which is detected as a controller, and then using it to play with keyboard and mouse with aim assist turned on.

Seems at first a non-issue, Overwatch had this same issue and solved it by turning aim assist off completely, but since this game has PvE it remains to be seen whether they'll do that or try a hybird approach; turning it off for PvP, leaving it on for PvE. The latter would create an issue for people who do both, but might achieve their goal of having both a truly competitive PvP and an accessible PvE.
  16. Arcfire

Or you could git gud and just use a real mouse... scrubs. More like lame-assist.
  17. syberghost

18. Fell

Gotta say I'm having a blast on PS4. The maps are cool, they get you to other planets a lot faster than D1 and there's so much to do on each map. The random events are easier to find (though a bit cookie cutter so far). I haven't done any strikes yet, but that's because I'm having so much fun leveling and following the story which is definitely an improvement. Not a bioware quality story, but pretty good. This is so far turning out to be fun.
    Cryseph likes this.
  19. Cryseph

Cryseph Member

Fell I am running D2 on PS4 with the wife, sent you a friend request, once we get to 20 lets do some stuff!
  20. Fell

I hit 20 a few days ago, I'm ready for nightfall strikes :p would love to run when you're ready. I have 261 Light currently. Running out of upgrade room without nightfalls and raids.

I'm out of town until tomorrow, but i'll look for your request. Who from? (I'm AoAFell) I've gotten a few from people I don't know...
    Cryseph likes this.