Discord

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by syberghost, Jun 1, 2016.

Discord

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by syberghost, Jun 1, 2016.

1. syberghost

syberghost Guild Admin Staff Member

2. Allomein

Allomein AoA Emeritus

cool - will we be using discord now? I have heard good things about it. My nephew has been trying to get me to give it a go.
  3. syberghost

syberghost Guild Admin Staff Member

4. HittingSmoke

HittingSmoke AoA Emeritus

I've been passively interested in Discord for a while but I'm not confident in their business model being all cloud hosted with no self-hosting ability yet free. They say they plan to make money by selling "sticker packs" and soundboard stuff. I don't see that sustaining a VOIP system of this scale.

However they did release the source code for their Linux client which puts them above TeamSpeak and it's a hell of a lot prettier than Mumble.
    syberghost likes this.
  5. Martinfort

Martinfort Division Leader Staff Member

RIP... This is all I really bring to the table on this conversation... Discord is mumble with mobile looks and horrible servers... hard pass imo.
  6. HittingSmoke

HittingSmoke AoA Emeritus

What's horrible about their servers?

RIP likes this.
  7. Omnifox

Omnifox Cylon - Toaster Model Staff Member

Discord is terrible.
    --- Double Post Merged, Jun 18, 2016, Original Post Date: Jun 18, 2016 ---
    They go down a lot. Like five 8s.
  8. stat

stat Division Leader

Discord does make a good backup when TS is down....
    syberghost likes this.
  9. Cirsphe

Cirsphe Veteran Member

While I agree Discord has a ton of issues with the audio, what a discord server just for the chats though?
  10. Arcfire

Arcfire Guild Admin Staff Member

The chat portion of Discord is very Slack-esque in that is does a good job persisting across all your devices, I've been using it mainly to play D&D with various groups along with Roll20. Voice quality is decent, though reliability is pretty meh. People frequently complain of volume mismatch, robot voice, and even dropping the end of their sentences due to wonky voice activation (one assumes, I use push to talk because I'm not a filthy mouth breather). Haven't even touched the new video chat features, but people seems to say it is on par with skype and hangouts, aka pretty crap.

It wins by convenience more than quality of service, due to having a browser version and being multi-platform, free, and joining servers though a single link click.
    Teamspeak still wins in quality and configuration, but people just can't be bothered to take the time to set it up properly it seems. I don't get it either...
  11. Bnorus

Bnorus Veteran Member

Yes, the most annoying is the low-quality audio when the discord servers are running an update or into issues. But overall it is an awesome tool, super easy to manage, to get many communities at the same time, and custom emoticons :D best for me is the included overlay.
  12. Omnifox

Omnifox Cylon - Toaster Model Staff Member

I have a VIP server these days due to my partnership, and I will say the VIP server have as good as most TS3 servers for audio quality.
    AndyCapp and Bnorus like this.
  13. Arcfire

Arcfire Guild Admin Staff Member

Didn't realize VIP servers were a thing, haven't paid much attention to all their marketing shtuff.
  14. AndyCapp

AndyCapp Veteran Member

I am trying to use discord more often, I have been such a lurker in our TS server down in "random channel 5" with my buddy Zhayl for the past few years it seems lol. I still love TS, as I loved Vent for so long, but discord is pretty cool. I just need to USE it more and get a bit more chatty :) I also like the overlay, just not all the notifications (which I am sure are easy to adjust). Seems like an easy way to keep in touch with everybody!