Elite: Dangerous

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by syberghost, Mar 5, 2014.

Elite: Dangerous

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by syberghost, Mar 5, 2014.

1. syberghost

syberghost Guild Admin Staff Member

http://massively.joystiq.com/2014/03/05/hands-on-with-the-elite-dangerous-alpha/

2. zenix

zenix Veteran Member

Here is a great video made by a user in the current Alpha that now has multiplayer.

syberghost likes this.
  3. Rhyus

Rhyus Veteran Member

That looks pretty cool.
    mynameismonkey likes this.
  4. syberghost

5. Rhyus

Rhyus Veteran Member

So, I take it, you have to pay to be in this beta?
  6. mynameismonkey

mynameismonkey AoA Admin Emeritus

Yes.
  7. Rhyus

Rhyus Veteran Member

:: sigh :: I remember when alphas and betas were something special, that most of the people actually had experience and a capability to test the game like the company wanted. Now, if you have a big enough wallet, they will let you test their game, even if you are a shitty tester. :(
    Sudoshred likes this.
  8. Sudoshred

Sudoshred Veteran Member

IMO what's worse is the "Early Access" BS that's exploded recently. Pay me money to give you a game that's no where near ready and if it doesn't work it's a work in progress. So don't complain. I agree 100% with you though Rhyus.
  9. syberghost

I don't remember that. I remember when all you had to do was type your name into a forum post or CGI form, and the latter usually opted you in to a mailing list for every shitty product that company produced. Some of them would ask what testing experience you had, but they didn't really care, and they certainly didn't check your references. About the only thing that would prevent you from getting in was being late to the "fill out the form" party.

Crowdfunding is why there are so many innovative games being produced right now, and premium betas at least only get people who have some emotional investment in the game, and are willing to tie their identity to their participation. The old free-for-all method got you the same crowd of anonymous trolls that flit from beta to beta and pollute your beta forums with the same arguments between the same people.
    Fell likes this.
  10. syberghost

11. syberghost

12. stat

stat Division Leader

It looks nice, but i'm not going to pay $150 for a beta. I'll probably try it out, but I don't like some of the design decisions the game has made.
    Cirsphe and Fell like this.
  13. Arcfire

Arcfire Guild Admin Staff Member

Agreed. It's shiny, but not $150 shiny. From what I hear, there is currently more to do in ED than there is in SC, but they are a little further ahead in development cycle. They also have plenty of bugs to work through. When it gets a little further along and drops in price I will have a look at it. As it stands, I think their market strategy is doing them a disservice. Bar to entry is simply too high, but I guess if everyone could get in, they couldn't call it Elite, eh?
    Fell likes this.
  14. Fell

Fell Guild Admin Staff Member

I was checking this out before I left for vacation, just had to say no, I agree with stat on the game design.
  15. zenix

zenix Veteran Member

Bought myself a Thrustmaster 16000 Flight Stick last week and I have been playing the shit out of Elite this weekend. I am very excited to see Elite and Star Citizen both finally out and playing both will be fun. Elite had its first couple of patches for the beta last week being 1.03 that added 50 accessible systems to travel, trade and fight in.

There are 8 ships available currently. Everyone starts with the wedge shaped Sidewinder and if you die in it there is no cost to relaunch in one. The more expensive ships have insurance to buy a replacement or go back to a Sidewinder for free. You can do trading to build up money to buy the more combat focused ships. Pirating, bounty hunting(hunting AI and players), trading, faction joinable combat areas are all fun things to do.

If anyone has questions or wants to chat about it in TS just let me know here or on TS.
  16. zenix

zenix Veteran Member

17. zenix

zenix Veteran Member

My commander name is Zednix. Friend me or join my group Zednix. Groups are currently only named after players that create them.
  18. syberghost

Nice; if you preorder, they'll give you the 1984 original Elite for free:

https://store.zaonce.net/elite-dangerous-cat/elite1984.html

LOL, 5 minutes ago I was telling my wife "don't buy anything online until this shellshock business stabilizes, nobody really knows if they have been owned yet", and now I'm "honey, I'm preordering a game."
    --- Double Post Merged, Sep 27, 2014, Original Post Date: Sep 27, 2014 ---
    Update: no, you don't even have to preorder; it's just free on their site. Nice!
    --- Double Post Merged, Sep 27, 2014 ---
    Sweet; it contains a BBC Micro emulator, and a copy of that version of the game with a saved game of a "rich commander".

19. zenix

zenix Veteran Member

Shellshock business?
  20. syberghost

This will surely derail the thread, but the IT world is currently dealing with a recently-discovered 22 year old bug that affects at least 500 million systems ranging from major websites (almost all of them) to traffic lights to hospital equipment to cable modems and firewalls, probably can't ever be fixed in at least ten percent of those (maybe a lot more) and is grade-school trivial to exploit for remotely running arbitrary commands. It's called Shellshock by the infosec media.

It's the worst thing in IT ever. Heartbleed is like third.
    Cirsphe likes this.