Elite: Dangerous

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by syberghost, Mar 5, 2014.

Elite: Dangerous

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by syberghost, Mar 5, 2014.

1. Allomein

Allomein AoA Emeritus

Cool stuff

Rhyus likes this.
  2. HittingSmoke

HittingSmoke AoA Emeritus

That gets even cooler. If you're up close to the barnacle when the Thargoids come it will actually start to pull you up towards the ship along with rocks and anything else around.
    Rhyus likes this.
  3. syberghost

syberghost Guild Admin Staff Member

Spoilers (but pretty vague ones) about the Thargoids:

Our weapons and shields aren't going to be worth a shit against them at first. We're going to get our asses kicked at first, and have to figure out what to do about this. The fan speculation, based on the lore so far, is that we'll need to do something with the Guardians, whether that's reverse engineer their technology or discover their locations and make contact, so that we can start to fight back effectively. Don't fuck with the Thargoids they'll push your shit in.

Big if true.
    HittingSmoke and Rhyus like this.
  4. HittingSmoke

This depends on how much they retcon the existing lore on Thargoids.
    Thargoids are nothing new. There was a previous war where they were indeed pushing our shit in, but our weapons weren't worthless against them. We took out multiple "motherships" according to the tales. In fact, it's believed we started the first war by firing first and destroying a few of their ships during first contact.

However, since they've been grabbing ships out of hyperspace (another known tactic from the war) and scanning them, who knows what they've developed since then.
  5. Allomein

Allomein AoA Emeritus

Are those the thargoids or the guardians that go to the barnacles...I am confusled and need to read up :p
  6. HittingSmoke

Thargoid ships. The Thargoids themselves are said to be ammonia-breathing insectoids. If you look very closely at the center "eye" of the ships you can see it's transparent with what looks like big spines. I think those are the Thargoids.
  7. syberghost

8. HittingSmoke

The last fuel scoop heading back into the bubble after a long passenger trip in a Dolphin. Paint is showing the wear of the long trip.

[​IMG]
    Rhyus and syberghost like this.
  9. HittingSmoke

So a lot has happened over the last three days. There was a minor patch. Frontier has been pushing the story along piece by piece using the minor patches as a way to sneak stuff in. A couple days ago there was a bug fix patch that was for some reason a whopping 3.5GB. They added a ton of Thargoid story content.

1. Someone quickly found what appears to be some sort of Thargoid structure. Either a base or a mothership. Could be crashed, could be grown in the ground there (remember the barnacles?):

[​IMG]

I feel like I need to describe the scale of this thing since it's not obvious without a ship for reference. You see the tiny little spire in the center that looks like a volcano? I can fit my whole ship in there. Sideways. Just between the tips.

[​IMG]

High contrast image to help with the scale. My ship fits sideways in that tiny white dot in the middle. This site is the size of a small city.

Someone noticed as more screenshots got posted that it's growing. The four largest pieces sticking out of the ground have gotten larger since discovered.

Scattered around there are data links you can scan. About a dozen or so I think. When you scan them all you get a complete signal in your mailbox. More on that later.

The center "flower" shape has some tunnels with doors. If you carry certain alien objects and the doors will open, letting you inside.

[​IMG]

That's a fairly large ship hovering there, to further drive home the size of this thing.

Surrounding the center there are three sort of pedestals (two pictured above) that look like they're meant to hold something. If you put in one of each of the alien objects that exist (unknown artifact, unknown probe, and unknown link) it activates the center device with what appears to be a very large star map:

[​IMG]

You also get three signals sent to you if you activate the star map. More on that later.

There are also these things called "Guardian relics". According to lore the Guardians and Thargoids may have had something of a strained relationship. Illustrated by the fact that when you put a Guardian Relic in one of the spots, this happens:

[​IMG]

The thing goes completely nuts firing a fiery beam into the ground, shaking the structure and damaging/destroying everything in the chamber.

When you scan all the data links you get a signal as mentioned before. Someone took the audio and made a spectrograph from it:

[​IMG]

The left is a system called Merope. The right is a system believed to have just been found last night. The three objects above the bottom circle are an Unknown Artifact, an Unknown Link, and an Unknown Probe, respective. Those are the items required to activate the map. The center is binary for 1, 2, and 3, in the same format used on the plate attached to the Voyager probe in the event it's discovered by intelligent life. The top and bottom circles have not been decoded but they resemble the compass you have on your ship. A shaded circle (the bottom center) represents a targeted direction you're facing. A hollow circle (as in the top) represents a location directly behind you.

If you jettison an Unknown Link in the right system and play one of the signals received from the star map activation, it will fire a beam of light towards a planet with another active Thargoid structure. People are currently researching this to try to uncover the remaining structures.

The events leading up to this before the patch were the discovery of two Federal capital ships and a whole accompanying squadron dead in space with what looked like corrosive weapon damage. A signal beacon left at the site said "THARGOID RETURN" in NATO phonetic. The squadron was supposed to be carrying data on the Thargoid ships that they commandeered from an engineer researching them. The idea of an entire Federal squadron with two capital ships being wiped out is an unheard of level of damage in the game. There've also been several crashed ships found on planets with last recording indicating being attacked after discovering the Thargoid structures.

The story here is moving along quickly.

Right after getting to the first inactive structure my Windows drive decided it was finally a good time to be a Seagate and die. So now I'm imaging it in the hopes I can restore it to the new drive coming tomorrow and pick up where I left off without having to restore from backups on a fresh Windows install. So I'm not getting to participate now.
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2017
    Allomein and syberghost like this.
  10. Allomein

Allomein AoA Emeritus

Thanks for posting - very interesting

Good luck with the new drive!
    HittingSmoke likes this.
  11. HittingSmoke

Thanks. The imaging went well. Only 4KB unrecoverable from the bad drive. It's early sequentially so even if it's a linchpin block I should be able to fix the file system or replace a critical file and be back in business quickly.
  12. syberghost

So the new drive; not a Seagate, right?
  13. HittingSmoke

HGST. I don't remember how or why I ended up with a Seagate in this machine. The main drive is a WD Black. I think I wanted to install Windows and didn't feel like resizing partitions so I just threw in whatever was sitting in the parts pile.
  14. syberghost

HGST is the bee's knees. Most reliable consumer drives on the market. WD is the "good enough" budget drive.

Seagate should be forced to wear t-shirts that say "I'm the guy who lost your data" when they go out in public.
    HittingSmoke likes this.
  15. HittingSmoke

Most of my server drives are white label HGST. I trust them enough to buy refurbs when I'm on a budget.
    syberghost likes this.
  16. syberghost

My server's HGST drives have over six years of runtime and they're the only component in there I'm not worried about.
    HittingSmoke likes this.
  17. HittingSmoke

I scored on this one. A refurb that's never been used. 0 hours and very low power cycles. Looks like it's only ever been powered up for vendor testing. 3TB for $66.

[​IMG]
    syberghost likes this.
  18. HittingSmoke

Nope. Dickbag sellers just wiped the SMART data. That's shady as fuck.
    syberghost likes this.
  19. HittingSmoke

So all possible Thargoid structures have been found. There are no more new signals to follow that point to undiscovered structures. The final count is 208 with 56 actives (meaning you can go inside and activate the star map), which is way way more than anyone expected when this all started.

One of the last-discovered sites is in a permit locked system so can not currently be visited. It's believed the system is currently under Federal rule, and the Federation has been at the heart of all of this. Only Federation ships have been targeted in attacks so far.

Interestingly when plotted on a map the sites form a sort of partial sphere with almost all of the active sites being on one side of it, the side facing away from the bubble of human occupied systems. Some are theorizing that this is because of a virus created by humans during the first Thargoid conflict which targeted their organic ships. The inactive sites may have been in range of the virus while the active ones avoided complete destruction but were abandoned.
    syberghost likes this.
  20. Allomein

Allomein AoA Emeritus

Do you have a link to the map of the sites by any chance (yes I am being lazy :p)