Elite: Dangerous

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by syberghost, Mar 5, 2014.

Elite: Dangerous

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by syberghost, Mar 5, 2014.

1. HittingSmoke

HittingSmoke AoA Emeritus

2. Allomein

Allomein AoA Emeritus

Awesome thank you!
  3. Rhyus

Rhyus Veteran Member

So, Ive finally ventured into the universe of Elite Dangerous. I've run two UPS missions in it so far. Any pointers for someone with a simple Sidewinder and not enough money to get anything? Saw a video that said to go to an area with high mining and help the police kill bounty hunters (or maybe he meant the pirates, he seemed to keep getting those two mixed up). But, I'm not sure my setup is very good for heavy combat, as I still can't do the training combat missions very well.
  4. Allomein

Allomein AoA Emeritus

An easy way to get your feet wet with combat and rank up is to go to the navigation beacon near your home base and just help clear out hostiles from it. They will appear frequently and you generally are not alone so you will get credit for contributing. Make sure you scan to ensure they are wanted before you engage. Get a kill scanner to get credits from multiple factions.
  5. Rhyus

Rhyus Veteran Member

Oh, I think I forgot to mention that I'm currently playing it in Solo mode.
  6. Rhyus

Rhyus Veteran Member

Ok, so, I tried to do combat. The first one I got into I got blown up. Then once I got back to my new ship, I tried to go to the asteroid field to see if there were any combat there. Nothing. Then I returned to the station to see about a UPS mission. Either everything was too far for me to travel or they wanted more units than my little ship could transport. I'm just not having any luck with this game so far. :(
  7. Rhyus

Rhyus Veteran Member

Ok, any other advice? Can I add on another cargo module to my beginning Sidewinder? Is there an easy place to do combat as I'm not really sure what I'm looking for half the time.
  8. Allomein

Allomein AoA Emeritus

What I said before is probably the easiest place to get your feet wet with combat. Go to a nearby navigation beacon and help authorities clear out wanted.
  9. Rhyus

Rhyus Veteran Member

Ok, so, I went to one of the rings of one of the planet's in the beginning system. I found a location there where combat was fairly heavy. I watched a video that said to wait and let a target get to like 30% of hull health then attack it a few times and then beat feet out of there until you see you got the bounty. So, I did that yesterday for a couple of hours. What I did not know is that I had to return to a base, in my ship, to get the bounties, that they did not automatically get accredited to my pilot when it happened, that I collected vouchers for the kills. So, I ended up getting myself killed and the million or so that I had accumulated over that time was all lost. I'll try it again and make sure I return like once an hour to a base without getting blown up.
  10. Rhyus

Rhyus Veteran Member

Well, I went out there again. Spent like an hour in the location. Saw a lot of fighting going on, but, I fired not a single shot in combat. The "Wanted" grouped pilots were either ganging up on a solo "Clean" pilot or a solo "Wanted" pilot flying an Anaconda was tearing apart a solo "Clean" pilot. I could find nothing to attack. This game is getting very frustrated. I'll try again, maybe tonight to see if I can find "Wanted" fighting other "Wanted" like I did yesterday.
  11. Allomein

Allomein AoA Emeritus

Have you gone to a navigation beacon near your home base and tried assisting with clearing out wanted there yet? Because that will likely be the easiest way to get used to combat in a location from which you can very quickly return to base to turn in your vouchers.

That will be easier than going into a higher conflict zone.
  12. Rhyus

Rhyus Veteran Member

Ok, so, last night, before I went to bed, I spent about an hour at the one planet. It had two locations along the rings, one "Dangerous" and one "High". I have no clue what either one means, but I had been in the Dangerous location already and was getting nothing. So, I warped over to "High" one and found a group of local security ships. I followed them around the entire time and got several kills that totaled around 1.7 millions credits. Where do I find these navigation beacons? I heard from one of the videos I watched to do what you suggested, but I have no clue where to find them. They don't seem to come up on the maps.
  13. Allomein

Allomein AoA Emeritus

Every system you enter has a navigation beacon not far from where you warp into. You go to the info monitor on the port side of your ship (left) and go look at the list of objects in the system. One of them will be the navigation beacon. Target that and then supercruise to it like you would a space station. When you get close you come out of supercruise and then you will see there are a number of ships there. Using that same monitor go to the "contacts" tab to see ships nearby. You can target them and get closer and scan them. If they are wanted then you can attack them. Generally you will find you need to move quickly to get from one skirmish to another to make sure you can participate in the kill. As you are fighting, security forces will usually come by to assist which is why this is an easy way to get feet wet with combat because it is less likely you will be destroyed. It helps to have a kill scanner so that you can find additional powers you can get bounties from for the same kill. I have mine on the same trigger as my lasers so as I am taking down shields I am also kill scanning to see if they are wanted by other powers.
    Rhyus likes this.
  14. Rhyus

Rhyus Veteran Member

Ok, so I found one of the nav beacons at the sun. After like 10 minutes of trying to scan everyone there, I finally found a Wanted pilot. I went after the ship and it barely returned fire, but, after shields had gone down and was down to like 40%, it jumped out. I still have all this loaned gear on my beginning Sidewinder that I can't really do damage quickly enough to stop them from jumping out. There was even a Systems Agent present when I started this attack, but it never joined in. So, after waiting like another 5 minutes or so I just decided to jump to the ringed planet that I was at before. I found a wing of System Agents and followed them around. I had made at least a million before I got cocky and decided to start a fight with a pilot that was Wanted and had hoped the System Agents would join in to help me before I got myself killed, but, well, that didn't work. They didn't start attacking him until after he killed me. So, I got instantly teleported back to the last port I was at, with nothing to show for what I had done. :( I had kept telling myself that I needed to head back, that a million was good enough for tonight. But I just wanted one more kill and another 200k bounty on my score card. Will have to try it again tonight and this time just let the System Agents do the initial attacking.
  15. HittingSmoke

Open your Functions HUD and turn on "Report Crimes Against Me"
  16. Rhyus

Rhyus Veteran Member

Ok, so, I upgraded my ship to a Cobra MkIII. That Sidewinder just wasn't cutting it. Then, when I got the Cobra, I found out that the lasers were fixed, which was really screwing me up with attacking, because those System Authority Ships were just killing everything so fast before I could even get my ship pointed in the right direction and making sure none of the SAS were in my way, or I'd get attacked after they finished with that target. So, I upgraded to gimballed blasters. I haven't tried them out yet, but hope I can make some money before I get killed again.
  17. Rhyus

Rhyus Veteran Member

Does travelling inside a system get any faster? I'm spending like 10-20 minutes of travel time inside a system. If there was an automated way of just lining it up and hitting "J" and it will travel to the destination on its own and will jump out within 1 mm (or whatever the measurements are) of the destination, I'd be happy with that and however long it takes. But, sitting there, waiting and not having anything to do in the meantime, because you have to constantly correct your drift, it starts to get boring after a while.
  18. syberghost

syberghost Guild Admin Staff Member

19. HittingSmoke

No. Supercruise speed is a velocity relative to the gravity well. The larger the object and/or the closer you are to it, the slower you go. Handling in supercruise is based roughly on the size of the ship and is not modifiable in any way. There is no auto travel of any sort in this game except docking computers. It all must be done manually.

When traveling in supercruise to another part of the system, aim at it and go full throttle until you get about 7-10 seconds away then throttle down to 75%. Don't let your ETA get below 7 seconds or you increase the risk of not intersecting safe disengage speed and distance. At 75% throttle, the gravity well of the planet or moon you're approaching will almost always slow you down properly for safe disengage. There are a few off stations floating out in the black without a minor body to orbit which will cause a problem, but they're rare.
  20. HittingSmoke

2.4 patch notes are out, minus spoilers. Closed beta has begun for previous beta participants.

Notables:

• Synthesis can now craft heat sinks, chaff, limpets, and recharge your life support. Limpets and heat sinks are a huge deal for explorers and material collection.
    • You can now preview cash shop cosmetics in-game. No more going on shitty tiny screenshots from one angle with poor lighting.
    • Repair limpets are no in-game so you can repair other player's ships.
    • Maximum route planning range has been increased from 1k ly to 20k ly and route planning speed has been improved. Huge deal for long trip planning and coincides with the elimination of 32-bit support.
    • Route planning can now account for neutron star boosting.
    • Route planning now shows the last scoopable star on your route before you run out of fuel for better fuel management.
    • New ship added. Type-10 Defender. No additional info available and is not currently purchasable in the beta.
    • Multiple new discouragement mechanics added for murdering players in civilized space.
    • Salvage contacts added. You can now get rewards for salvaging things like manned escape pods from wrecks.
    • Lots of improvements to the mission system.