Elite: Dangerous

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by syberghost, Mar 5, 2014.

Elite: Dangerous

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by syberghost, Mar 5, 2014.

1. Fell

Fell Guild Admin Staff Member

what are the flight controls like? 6dof? I might be convinced to try it out, i've got that badass HOTAS set up, track IR and voice attack, i'm kind of feelin' like a 10gallon hat with no horse...
  2. syberghost

syberghost Guild Admin Staff Member

Yeah, it recognized my Logitech right away, and stuff like rotating the stick for rudder worked. It's got some rough edges still, although I learned last night part of my problems were paradigm issues, not technical; like I thought you couldn't target something unless it was on your screen, but it turns out that only applies to using "t" to target the closest thing; you can pull up an EVE-like sensor contacts hud screen and select stuff.

Here's Dake's Twitch video from last night:

3. Bnorus

Bnorus Veteran Member

Yes! Go checkout a Twitch channel or two Fell that will tease you up :)
  4. syberghost

I'm watching a guy "Londongaming4fun" right now streaming, using Voice Attack with a massive setup.

I'd link but I'm watching on Fire TV, so I haven't the foggiest, he was just the most popular current stream of ED.
  5. syberghost

I'm "syberghost" in game, of course, Just took the plunge and started in the PU.
  6. syberghost

Hard, hard lessons learned.

Came upon some unattended containers full of Leather, in a very low traffic system. I swear, officer, I found 'em.

Figured out cargo scoop, scooped four out of five up, blew the last one up for target practice.

Leather is illegal everywhere I went, even though "Animal Meat" is legal. Couldn't see it to anybody. Got scanned. Nearly bankrupted to pay fine; fortunately, I'd scanned an undiscovered system over 20ly away, so I was able to raise a few pennies and pay it after refueling.

Decided I wanted this shit out of bay, so I dumped it. Too close to station. Fine is more than I have left. Have to risk travelling to the next system with fines, hope I make it, so I can sell more data. Maybe. :(

May end up in deep, deep shit.
  7. syberghost

Well, good news and bad. I found a "too good to be true" deal that actually was true, and made 4,000cr for moving three tons of scrap from where I was to the place I owed the fine. Paid the fine and had plenty of cash left over.

Then I was trying to go to where my other ship was, and due to what I consider to be an interface bug (sometimes the "how fast do you need to go" thing doesn't change when you change destinations while in supercruise), I overshot, ran out of fuel, and died.

Good news is, it costs me nothing (starter ship) and is starting me where I wanted to go to pick up my Eagle anyway. So, LOL.
    stat likes this.
  8. Reese

Reese Veteran Member

I added you Zednix and Syber. My IGN is xREESEx. Just got the game earlier today. Too an hour or two to get the hang of it but liking it thus far. Only downside is the occasional attempt of people dragging my out of hyperdrive. One was even nice enough to ask me if i had cargo on me. I said no and he didnt pursue. Even the bandits are polite ;p

Is there a friends list? Can you communicate un-restricted with them or are they proximity based as well?
  9. Fell

I also want to know if there is an org structure. Will someone take point on setting one up if so? seems we ought to at least beer league this one, I count at least half a dozen interested AoA players (conservatively).
  10. syberghost

There are not yet mechanics for guilds. You can form groups, but that's it, that I'm aware of.
  11. syberghost

In regards to the interdictors taking you out of hyperdrive, each time you'll be presented with an "escape vector". Although it graphically seems like it only turns blue when you're inside the circle, and it's nearly impossible to remain inside it, it appears that if you're inside it frequently and close a lot, it works. I have not yet been successfully interdicted.

I'm using a joystick though; my brief experience with using mouse with this game tells me that if I were trying to match an escape vector with it, I would fail.

No idea on the friend stuff; the ingame chat is rudimentary.
    --- Double Post Merged, Dec 21, 2014, Original Post Date: Dec 21, 2014 ---
    How to make money, in one handy infographic:

--- Double Post Merged, Dec 21, 2014 ---
    LOL, nice. The interface has changed quite a bit since this, but the gameplay elements should be the same:

12. Arcfire

Arcfire Guild Admin Staff Member

Picked this up today as I got some xmas money. Haven't played more than a mission or so. Currently I'm being asked to free some slaves, but I have no idea how to complete it lol. IGN Gorlocke
    syberghost likes this.
  13. Reese

Reese Veteran Member

I hear the slaving thing is kinda difficult. I watched some good tube vids on smuggling and cargo runs. Seems to be well worth the money at the moment. Apparently going into silent running and/or turning of ur modules reduces you heat sig so you are less likely to be scanned for illegal goods while entering ports.
  14. Fell

Downloaded, may try and get on tonight after kiddos go to bed. please post game IDs here if you haven't already done so. I'll edit here when I get my tag.
  15. Arcfire

Arcfire Guild Admin Staff Member

16. syberghost

Explore and chart the unknown.

Pick a side in the war.

Start a war by picking a side where there's not a war yet.

Kill all the pirates.

Kill all the cops.

End the slave trade.

Facilitate the slave trade.

Kill everybody.

Visit every star mentioned on Star Trek.

Get a ship, get a job, keep flying.
  17. Cirsphe

Cirsphe Veteran Member

Can we consolidate all the ED IDs someplace so it is easier to add people instead of goign through the whole thread?
  18. HittingSmoke

HittingSmoke AoA Emeritus

I only heard of E:D because of SC. From the bits and pieces I picked up I was under the impression that it was strictly a dogfighting sim. After watching all of the training videos I see how wrong I was and how amazing it looks as an MMO.
  19. syberghost

Here's what I did last night:

My plan was to Explore my way slowly towards Earth, and test my beta-backer access to Sol system. I figured Exploration would make me a little money, and that I'd be able to find small courier jobs as I got closer. However, I rapidly discovered that my nearly stock Eagle is just too basic to explore without significant risk of running out of gas, and couldn't take a fuel scoop without giving up something else I (possibly incorrectly) think I need.

So plan B; take small combat and/or courier jobs to build up enough cash to buy a better ship. Took a job to kill 2 pirates, figured that would let me double-dip with bounties. Job said to look in two systems, and it just so happened that I'd explored neither, and both contained a TON of objects. So, being aware of a fuel location, I explored, and tried to figure out how to find pirates on purpose instead of accidentally.

Exploration was going well, ratting not so much. Finally got one kill when I allowed a rat to interdict me. Be careful what you wish for, rat; vaped. Started to get an idea how to run down signals, ran one down, found it was friendly. The friendly was with the corp that gave me the mission, and upon scanning he gave me an update; they wanted me to kill 3 instead of 2, to take down a specific faction. I think it might have been a corporation opposing the royal family of that system, dunno, didn't care, either way pirates were the target; I'm avoiding illegal activity for now.

So I bopped around some more exploring, and ran down signals as I found them, but all were friendly. I mapped out at least a dozen asteroid clusters, though, and have a big payday worth of astronomical data sitting in my computer.

Eventually I went over to the other system, and boom, another ton of objects to explore. Lucked out and almost immediately found a station, so I docked and refueled, then set out to chart the system. Let another rat interdict me, vaped him. Ran down another contact; rat, vaped. Mission complete.

Flew back to the first system, and turned in the mission. It caused the bad guy faction to descend into open revolt, and raised my influence with the good guys. Made a few pennies on the mission, made three times as much from bounties. Score.

By this time it was really late, so I reported weird forum shit to Smoke then went to bed. Next time, I'm going to finish charting the second system, and take more missions in this area. Maybe I can get myself a decent ship before I head to Earth.

I actually feel more engaged and more at risk Exploring in this game than I ever did in EVE. I hope they get the real grouping mechanics in next month though; right now it's a Massively Single-player Online Spaceship Simulator.
    Fell likes this.
  20. syberghost