Elite: Dangerous

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by syberghost, Mar 5, 2014.

Elite: Dangerous

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by syberghost, Mar 5, 2014.

1. syberghost

syberghost Guild Admin Staff Member

Newsletter:

http://eepurl.com/ba46Xn

Improved player aggregation has loaded; you're more likely to encounter other humans who are in the same system. Good and bad.

Planning frequent free updates, including new features, in addition to the paid expansions.

Kepler telescope found two more Earth-like exoplanets this week. Frontier added them to the game already.

RSS feed for Galnet: http://elitedangerous.com/news/galnet/rss Keep up with the ingame news.

A guy writes about interdicting somebody who had friends, and spending the rest of the day getting tracked down by three angry guys with good ships, and fighting his way into another area of space.

Frontier is hiring.
  2. syberghost

Stuff I left out:

Wings are coming. That's basically guilds.

Dev team being expanded, to increase the rate of updates. Sort of covered that with "Frontier is hiring".
  3. syberghost

4. syberghost

5. syberghost

6. syberghost

Official tweet clarified; Wings will be a free update for everybody, beta backers will be the beta testers, everybody on live gets update at the same time.

Frontier CM needs remedial twitter lessons; took three tweets to get that explained.

Hey, Frontier; I happen to know a really good CM who's looking for work.
  7. syberghost

This guy gives a good demonstration of the difference a power distributor makes, and they're a cheap upgrade. If you can wade through his accent.

8. syberghost

Cmdr. Nutter finds a black hole, and gazes too long into the abyss:

rednaxel04 gets up close and personal with an Imperial capital ship:

9. syberghost

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=99493

Beta testing process explained.

V 1.1 will go into beta first week of February. Will include some grouping changes, but not Wings yet. Will include extending router planner out to 1,000 LY. If beta goes well, should go live a couple of weeks later.

V 1.2 will go into beta first week of March. "Wings and other multiplayer goodness".

These are free expansions. Details will be coming soon on paid expansions.
    Bnorus likes this.
  10. syberghost

11. syberghost

12. Signal Warden

Signal Warden Officer

13. syberghost

TIL:

It's not that hard to get enough Fed rep to get invited to Sol. I'm parked at Li Qing Jao, in Earth orbit. Yay!
  14. syberghost

This video both teaches you how to mine, and underscores why I don't mine in this game:

It's a giant pain in the ass. They don't do tractor beams in Elite, but I'm sure hoping they get some kind of magnetic tow cable or something; scooping shit up sucks. Then again, it makes mining an interactive experience with a skill component, not just "point the mining lasers at the rocks and go watch Netflix" like in some games.
    --- Double Post Merged, Jan 20, 2015, Original Post Date: Jan 20, 2015 ---
    IGN gives it a 7.4:

15. syberghost

Dev interview about the new features in v1.1:

http://www.pcgamer.com/elite-dangerous-patch-11-preview-community-goals-revealed/

Largely focuses on "Community Goals" events:

So, we're getting more "what you do actually changes the galaxy" stuff. Nice!
  16. syberghost

Newsletter 59:

http://us2.campaign-archive1.com/?u=dcbf6b86b4b0c7d1c21b73b1e&id=f7ab285b67

A highlight:

17. syberghost

TIL:

prtscrn does not trigger the in-game screenshots, nor evidently the Windows screenshots, F10 does.

shift-tab does not trigger Steam (I probably set it not to do that in this game), it triggers boost (by default)

100 meters off the port stern of a Federation Farragut Class Destroyer is not a good place to learn these things.

A stock Adder with full shields takes 16% hull damage after all three layers of shields are completely knocked out by this impact. It costs 403cr to repair the damage.

Farraguts look like Star Destroyers, if they were built by Cylons.
    --- Double Post Merged, Jan 23, 2015, Original Post Date: Jan 23, 2015 ---
    I should say "a not even close to stock" Adder. Dunno why I typed "stock". Probably PTSD from running into a Destroyer at 300M/s.
  18. syberghost

19. Ragter

Ragter AoA Emeritus

You could hold your breath for 20 seconds couldn't you? . . .

Not that you have to land and dock and wait for the airlock to open or wait for that FAA guy to grant you clearance or anything. . .
  20. zenix

zenix Veteran Member

Haha, prepare your wormhole.