Elite: Dangerous

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by syberghost, Mar 5, 2014.

Elite: Dangerous

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by syberghost, Mar 5, 2014.

1. syberghost

syberghost Guild Admin Staff Member

I had almost made it, then had to fight an interdiction and lost a few million more meters and some time.
  2. syberghost

1.1 beta rolling out to testers Tuesday. Some stuff:

Also:

http://imgur.com/gallery/hvU3W/
  3. syberghost

New newsletter, not much in it this time:

http://us2.campaign-archive1.com/?u=dcbf6b86b4b0c7d1c21b73b1e&id=bcdbac8930&e=f4e447cfb4

One interesting bit; a character from Frontier: Elite II, who in the booklet for the game had talked about buying up his entire station, putting drives on it, and taking it across the galaxy exploring, will do just that starting next week; a mobile Orbis spaceport, which will be going places that don't currently have spaceports. Find him and go along with him; periodically he'll jump to a new system, and if you're docked at the time, you go with him.

[​IMG]
  4. zenix

zenix Veteran Member

That's fucking cool, it makes me wish they could run a universe like this with Elder Scrolls, but I don't want it to get shit on again by a garbage mmo.
    syberghost likes this.
  5. syberghost

6. syberghost

7. Bnorus

Bnorus Veteran Member

Yes can't wait for it to hit the server cause for me it has been a looooong lonely flight as of now... some mining, some bounty hunting, a month of nothingness, and some exploration quickly last weekend...
    syberghost likes this.
  8. Fell

Fell Guild Admin Staff Member

I'm sitting sidelined on this one due to controller overload. I want to find a chunk of time to tune my HOTAS, rudder. voice attack and track IR into a mapping scheme i can be comfortable with for this and SC. The controller software for my HOTAS and Rudder is not the most intuitive so i've been putting it off, particularly since i'm really not technically inclined on the xml coding side, which it seems some knowledge will be helpful.

That said, the developments on this title do feel exciting, i feel like i'm missing out but keep the news coming - hopefully I can join in with some Wing activities here soon.
  9. Martinfort

Martinfort Division Leader Staff Member

So what's the word on this game now that people have really had some time to toy with it? Friend and I are currently clutching our credit cards.
  10. syberghost

It's a lot of fun, and the ability of a player to make a mark on the galaxy increases with each update. It's turning into a four-person co-op game with this new patch, but I haven't played in a bit due to life. At the moment I'm mostly playing things I can do on my laptop from the couch, which means no joystick.

If it gets true guilds before SC releases a solid PU test, things are going to get very interesting.
  11. Martinfort

Well we are hooked... Curses!
    Bnorus and syberghost like this.
  12. Fell

Fell Guild Admin Staff Member

No hate intended to Elite at all, the more successful games out there is all the better. I don't think CIG is too worried about this title getting ahead in the flight sim space. They will be very different games, I would characterize CIGs plans as a lot more ambitious (and risky) but that's probably a biased opinion given I've made a financial investment in CIG. Still, with FPS, complex economies, capital/multi-player ships etc., it will take longer to get there but it's not the same space Elite is occupying.

From an AoA point of view i do think guilds in Elite could create the opportunity of organizing around flight sims in general (a FS division?) rather than around specific games. I'm not convinced game specific divisions are stable enough ways to focus the AoA community.
  13. syberghost

Elite's planning FPS, multiple-player ships, etc. too. But I also don't see this as competition; I think there's a gigantic overlap between SC backers and Elite players, simply because Elite's further along in development, mostly due to taking a different track; release the core game and add on, whereas SC is attempting to release with the cores of each of the major areas of gameplay.

Where it gets interesting is if Elite gets solid guild tools before SC launches a solid PU test; at that point, you may see Elite be where the SC guilds all spend their time until SC comes out.

That'll even be a recruiting point; people will join Elite guilds that promise a major SC presence.
  14. HittingSmoke

HittingSmoke AoA Emeritus

Well I bought it. I've only had time to play for about three hours or so. I've had to hit the boom switch twice because of bad route planning and running out of fuel.

Now I have a fuel scoop. Need to get some more efficient engines so I don't start to burn up every time I use it. So far I've been exploring and selling the data just to have fun jumping from system to system leaning the layout of the universe. So far I haven't been very good at finding objects visually though. I want to get myself into an Adder. That looks like a cool little ship to learn the game in.

I tried fitting out my Sidewinder for trading but they money did not seem to be there at that level even with extra cargo modules.
  15. Martinfort

For trading an adder will def be your first friend, get into a t6 as soon as possible though.

16. zenix

zenix Veteran Member

Fell, Rhyus, syberghost and 1 other person like this.
  17. syberghost

http://massivelyop.net/2015/03/05/braben-elite-wont-be-dumbed-down-for-consoles/

Xbox One version will be the same game, they aren't going to dumb it down for console.

Braben also says later on in the forum post that it's the same "galaxy state", which I believe is fancy brit speak for "playing on the same server". So you can fly around near-Earth stars and see "Discovered by syberghost" all over the place from day one. :)
  18. zenix

zenix Veteran Member

19. syberghost

Same server was the plan, but it looks like as per usual with these things, Microsoft's processes for vetting updates are shooting the idea down. That's not set in stone yet, but it appears to be where they're heading:

http://massivelyop.net/2015/03/10/elite-dangerous-david-braben-on-pc-vs-console-development/

20. Allomein

Allomein AoA Emeritus

Oh I just posted asking about this game in the Star Citizen forum

You playing this Syber? Any current impressions of the game - seems to be ideal for me actually