Everquest II anyone?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by syberghost, Jan 18, 2014.

Everquest II anyone?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by syberghost, Jan 18, 2014.

1. syberghost

syberghost Guild Admin Staff Member

Thinking about giving EQ2 a try for a while. I know it's dated, but it's also all new quests for me, since I've never left the tutorial area.

Does anybody enjoy this game and have some advice/interest in playing? Any advice on good classes for soloing and occasional PUG grouping, since I'm unlikely to play it enough to reach endgame and do serious raiding before EQN comes out?
  2. syberghost

Oh, and is there anything worth spending my Station Cash on?
  3. HittingSmoke

HittingSmoke AoA Emeritus

I've been thinking about installing it. I haven't gotten off my ass to try to get it installed but I'll let you know if I did.
  4. syberghost

Currently playing the Berserker I created once before when I was thinking of trying it. Bought a mount with effectively one month worth of DCUO stipend.
    --- Double Post Merged, Jan 18, 2014, Original Post Date: Jan 18, 2014 ---
    Two unsolicited guild invites so far...
  5. Fell

Fell Guild Admin Staff Member

if you like healing highly recommend the fury, was great as a solo class. I have eq2 installed but haven't patched in a long while. I may pop in. What server are you on?
  6. syberghost

Freeport.
    --- Double Post Merged, Jan 18, 2014, Original Post Date: Jan 18, 2014 ---
    However, for the next few hours I have to work; maybe be on later, definitely not be on tomorrow, and working second shift all next week. Twice a year we have to do shifts to support a major software load, and that's underway now.
  7. mectesh

mectesh Veteran Member

Re: EQ2, not looking to add yet another game to my "tried and currently inactive" pile, but EQN looks interesting.
  8. syberghost

So, I'm enjoying the hell out of this game. The crafting is AMAZING; you have to actually work during it. You can take DAMAGE from crafting if you don't pay attention, and there are gathering nodes everywhere.

I can see why WoW beat it, but it's a tremendously deep game, and since soon I'll have perpetual Gold Member status, I'll be in there at least until I complete the stories, and probably longer. That makes this the third SOE game I play regularly now.
  9. jeverian

jeverian Veteran Member

I'm gonna try this one out again just to see.
  10. HittingSmoke

I'll try to get it installed as soon as I get uWSGI bullshit sorted.
  11. jeverian

jeverian Veteran Member

Blech, what have they been doing to this game for the past 7 years? They didn't work on the animations or combat smoothness. I just can't enjoy it.
  12. Morgis

Morgis Officer

I might pop back on this during downtime this weekend. Am currently doing something else in the EQ world that I cant talk about (nda)

Edit: and there went the servers for a few hours guess I will download EQ2 now
  13. syberghost

I just completed the New Halas quests and moved to the next area. I'm having lots of fun. Every day I game, I spend about 2 hours doing my Neverwinter dailies, and then all the rest of my time is in EQ2.
  14. syberghost

15. Morgis

Morgis Officer

Damn that was a short ass nda, less then 24 hours. And yes I am in the landmark alpha, its very unstable rightnow, hence the patch, bur hey its an alpha what do you expect.

Since the NDA is lifted, I wish dwarves were in alpha (only humans atm) because all I can think of while mining is that vid you linked back in NWO launch Syberghost.......I am a dwarf and I'm digging a hole, diggy diggy hole, diggy diggy hole.
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2014
    jeverian and syberghost like this.
  16. syberghost

https://forums.station.sony.com/eq2...irector-of-development-dave-georgeson.545526/

The dev team is changing their update strategy. Instead of three or four mini-expansions per year, they're going to do a small update every week (a mini adventure, an event, etc), a featured update every month (redo a classic dungeon at endgame level, add a new quest chain), and then expansions are going to be major and designed to matter, and not be rushed to a schedule.
    HittingSmoke likes this.
  17. HittingSmoke

This intrigues the shit out of me. One of my favorite aspects of Asheron's Call were the monthly updates. At the beginning of each month the servers would go down for an evening for a patch. Each patch there was a new lore update published with news on the progression of the story in-game.

I've really only not looked into getting this installed out of laziness but I'm finding it harder and harder to resist as I read this thread.
  18. syberghost

One of their community guys recently said words to the effect of "we tried being corporate, and it pissed off the customers and pissed us off as gamers, so instead we're going to try making great games and the money will follow".

Of course the road to hell is paved with good intentions; the CU and the NGE were primarily about making SWG more enjoyable to a broader field of gamers. It seems like they learned from that experience, but we'll see.
  19. syberghost

Here's another reason I love this game:

Today they released a new raid, with new unique loot, that extends one of the heritage quest chains. And that is literally all they've said about it, other than a couple of screenshots of the loot. Players have to FIGURE OUT WHICH QUEST CHAIN THEY EXTENDED.

This is one of the first of their new "weekly update" things. There was no prerelease hype chain. They didn't wrap it up in a new daily grind to try to make it last three months, or claim it was something gigantic to bring everybody back; it's just new stuff to do, and even people who've only been playing for a couple of months could potentially achieve "server first" accolades for finding it.

All day there have been guilds scrambling to find and complete it first. In a game nearly a decade old. That is so completely awesome.
  20. Fell

Fell Guild Admin Staff Member

HQs were my favorite part of EQ2. Epic.
    syberghost likes this.