Ghost Recon Wildlands Open Beta announced

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by syberghost, Feb 16, 2017.

Ghost Recon Wildlands Open Beta announced

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by syberghost, Feb 16, 2017.

1. Riot

Riot Veteran Member

That is definitely strange, I ran smoothly with some friends, and Syberghost. The skill thing CAN be a bit annoying, until you look at it like Diablo II. You had to do the same crap there, but I feel like we'll get enough skills points that you'll forget all about it after awhile.
  2. syberghost

syberghost Social Media Manager Staff Member

I'm either going to be late for this or not present at all; we're looking at 7 houses today (8 if our kick-ass realtor keeps kicking ass with our unreasonable last-minute requests).
  3. Fell

Fell Guild Admin Staff Member

I will make session 1 just a bit late
  4. Fell

Tried logging in through Ubi-fuckd launcher, no joy so far, i get the splash screen then revert to launcher with no error message. I'll keep researching and trying to get in...
    --- Double Post Merged, Feb 25, 2017, Original Post Date: Feb 25, 2017 ---
    seems this game has trouble being installed on a non:O/S drive, be back in 30 to try again lol
  5. syberghost

Weird, I've had every beta on my games drive.
  6. Fell

yeah well i transferred uplay and the game to my OS drive and it's logging in. Now i'm having a dickens of a time getting my controller or MKB to work. i can't seem to enable my xbox elite controller in the game, in fact i can't adjust any game settings with controller or MKB. including the ridiculously small 1920x1080 video size which if i can't select an upsized version renders this unplayable. i've spent 2 hours on controller/MKB problems by now, maybe i'll get a breakthrough soon...
  7. Rhyus

Rhyus Veteran Member

So, other than the first night, I could not find anybody to run with and it got boring playing with the AI, as I tended to get myself killed a lot of times because they would just sit there and do nothing, even with the enemy advancing towards me UNLESS I told them to fire, which is very stupid, since they all have silenced weapons. But, other than that, I had wanted to try and recreate the mess I had on the first night and get it on video.
  8. syberghost

So, beta is over. I'm definitely buying this.

I'm going to put together some thoughts later on things I learned about soloing, and differences in the experience when grouped. Short version is, grouping with randoms will get you fucking killed in this, the AI plays better; but a coordinated group can shit all over the AI.
    Rhyus likes this.
  9. Fell

I never got to play, could not sort out the control issues at all and I lost patience. I'll just hope release is more stable...
  10. HittingSmoke

HittingSmoke AoA Emeritus

After fighting with UPlay's stupid fucking P2P hosting for a couple hours I managed to get in and play with a group for a few hours yesterday. Also played solo for a few hours. Thoughts:

The biggest problem with this game is that without competitive multiplayer the core of it is the story. And that story is so bad so far. The writing and voice acting are among the worst I've ever encountered in what is considered a AAA title. To contrast similarly-named-and-played open-world co-op multiplayer of the Borderlands series, the great thing about Borderlands is that the whole thing is so well scripted and acted that you never really get tired of it. The jokes are so good you'll tell people to shut up on comms to hear a line you've already heard a half dozen times. Without that quality, Borderlands would not be replayable for anything but hoarding gear through their great loot system, which Wildlands does not have. I'm afraid that in Wildlands I might get tired of the game before I even finish the story, shortly after I manage to collect all the gear I want.

I didn't play with a random group. There were quite a few deaths often related to experimenting with mechanics and trying new tactics to learn the game. The multiplayer experience is overall good, but IMO the VOIP is garbage as it doesn't support multiple audio devices, uses the P2P hosting so is prone to NAT issues separate from the game itself and is very inconsistent in quality. After switching to TeamSpeak my multiplayer experience was improved significantly. In multiplayer, I found the most important thing was to get generators, alarms, etc shut down ASAP. Scout path to the generator with the drone, mark targets, stealth in, shut down the generator, and no more worrying about helicopters and reinforcements.

Solo play was even easier than multiplayer. Your NPC team doesn't do much unless you tell them to, which is the way it should be. They're not some idiot AI running around in the open following you. They stay hidden and spread out so they don't see what you see. You need to press Q to mark targets and instruct them when to fire. You can also use tab to tell them where to go, when to hold, where to fire, etc.

After I unlocked three target markers to synchronize my entire team's fire at once, taking down entire bases was a breeze. Mark targets with drones, wait for team to get line-of-sight, pick my target, and fire. Bam, four targets down in under one second. And if you picked your targets properly nobody would be alerted.

Also giving up on the sniper rifles helped a lot. There were no scopes for the sniper better than the ACOG in the beta zones. Once I found a scope for the AR I slapped that on with semi-auto and had a more effective sniper than anything else available for recon. The only advantage to the other available snipers was penetration power. And yes, I tested it. You can shoot through enemies, into other enemies, rebels, and civilians. Multi-kills with one shot is very possible.

I'm probably going to pick it up just for something new and multiplayer, but I really don't see this game holding on for long with that dog shit story since expansions will presumably just be adding onto it with more dog shit.
    Bnorus and Fell like this.
  11. syberghost

OK, so thoughts on single player.

Rush Sync Shot. The ability to silently take out four enemies instantly, 3 with zero skill or danger, is godlike. You can clear entire Unidad bases without even being discovered. For similar reasons, rush either Drones, Binoculars, or both.

Smoke is right about the scopes, but I'm quite sure once we get the other scopes the snipers will be godlike. There are some NPC guns you can grab with the better scopes that bear this out.

There is more than one playstyle that works. The one I favor I call "bloodthirsty stealth". Move to any flank of the area. Isolate enemies who are out of sightlines, and kill them silently. If discovered, pull back and wait until they give up on you, then resume. If there are too many in one area, use the Rebels to start a diversion on the opposite side, thin the herd, then pull back and wait until it dies down again. Before long you'll have a completely empty enemy town/compound, and you can just stroll in and loot the place.

As Smoke mentions, shooting the alarms and generators speeds this process up.

If you attract the attention of Unidad, try hiding. They have lots of expensive toys and they hate not to use them; they will eventually start some shit with the cartel, and do part of your job for you.

If you can get an enemy alone near you, don't melee him to death; grab him first, then melee him. Extra 120 XP.

Your Ghosts will teleport to you, so if you need to get to a mission fast, use a motorcycle; the moment you park it, they'll catch up.
    HittingSmoke likes this.
  12. Rhyus

Rhyus Veteran Member

The several times I went up against Unidad, they did not seem that tough. They were easy to kill and they had good weapons. Just wish you could have kept those weapons from mission to misson.
  13. syberghost

Unidad are way tougher per group than the cartel; they wear armor and use coordinated tactics, and use more armed helos and armored vehicles. However, they come in smaller numbers, and they are very trigger happy so you can often get them to start shit with the cartel.

And, of course, coordinated tactics can work against them if you've unlocked rebel mortar attacks...
  14. Riot

Riot Veteran Member

Ya I definitely enjoyed the beta and can't wait to get running in this. If you're going SP, Sync shot and drone battery/range/marking distance I think would be the best thing to rush for sure. So I never ran in to issues with bouncing vehicles or anything of that matter, but @Jubez has some footage/screens of my hand being stretched across the map etc lol.
  15. syberghost

StreamerHouse had some great bouncing vehicle shit:

I only had it once, and I wasn't capturing so I don't have video. Got out of a helicopter and it shot off into the air, landed hundreds of feet away, and exploded.
  16. Fell

sounds like you all who got it to work had fun. I'll be out of town on release day but do plan to try it out assuming i'll have a more stable or fixable controller situation. Sybers description of tactics seems to align with my favorite way of playing these games solo so I think I will enjoy it. (playing Sniper Elite 4 on XBone right now, game is awesome for a patient killer type, I should finish that campaign just in time for GRW)
  17. Riot

Riot Veteran Member

Lmao that video was pretty good. Ya we definitely had some whoops... moments. Like when I threw a grenade instead of getting inside a chopper. I feel like launch will be filled with this shit and I can't wait.
  18. Rhyus

Rhyus Veteran Member

Yea, I didn't see the kind of bouncing in that video that I experienced.
  19. syberghost

I will also be out of town next week, but I've gone ahead and purchased based on the strength of the beta.

See you guys in Bolivia that weekend.
    Rhyus likes this.
  20. HittingSmoke

HittingSmoke AoA Emeritus

Fuck it. I grabbed it.
    Rhyus and Riot like this.