I could cry

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by HittingSmoke, Mar 22, 2018.

I could cry

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by HittingSmoke, Mar 22, 2018.

1. HittingSmoke

HittingSmoke AoA Emeritus

Yesterday a man showed up at my door. He had a CenturyLink badge. I knew what was coming. I let him get through his initial sales pitch questions then shot him down by telling him overpriced shitty DSL doesn't really interest me. Then he said a magic word.

I started beating him in the head with my wallet. Pretty sure at some point I offered him my wife.

On Monday I get my fiber hooked up. On Tuesday I'm gonna walk into the Comcast office to turn in my modem like...

[​IMG]
    Fell, Rhyus and syberghost like this.
  2. syberghost

syberghost Guild Admin Staff Member

CenturyLink is still shit, but 1 gigabit shit is better than slow shit.

AT&T here is rolling out 10 gigabit. They'll sell it in tiers. Not sure what the hell I'd do with more than 1 gigabit.
  3. Arcfire

Arcfire Guild Admin Staff Member

Huh, I was thinking their fiber services were still limited to business sector in our area, but it seems we also have the fiber option now. Gonna poke the roomies to have a gander.
    syberghost and HittingSmoke like this.
  4. HittingSmoke

Well it didn't take long for them to cock something up. Yesterday my internet dropped out. It Wasn't DNS™. Until I realized it was totally DNS. I recently switched my DNS resolver to use Cloudflare's DNS over TLS at my router. All DNS queries to 1.1.1.1 were timing out. It responded to pings. Traceroute looked okay. Until it was compared to the backup DNS server of 1.0.0.1. The traffic was never leaving Centurylink's network. It appeared to, as it is being black-holed. Even HTTP requests to https://1.1.1.1 (yes that's a website) are failing unless I use a VPN.

So now I can spend two hours on the phone getting nowhere with scripted helpdesk monkeys or play the social media game and hope it picks up tracktion in tech news like it did a couple weeks back when AT&T did something similar.
    syberghost, Rhyus and AndyCapp like this.
  5. HittingSmoke

I sent a message to Arstechnica. Within two hours I had another PM on Twitter asking for a traceroute. I sent them screenshots of everything I had. Two hours later I got a message from some random person who read my original thread saying it was fixed, then I got a message from CL saying they'd fixed it.

That was faster than I expected, but I really hate that you have to resort to social media whining to get shit done these days.
    syberghost likes this.
  6. syberghost

syberghost Guild Admin Staff Member

It's the only thing that works. I've just started on Paradox Interactive on Twitter because their fucking password reset thing isn't working.