IE fails to render text editor

Discussion in 'Member Support' started by Fell, Sep 3, 2014.

IE fails to render text editor

Discussion in 'Member Support' started by Fell, Sep 3, 2014.

1. Fell

Fell Guild Admin Staff Member

So i'm running IE 9.0.8112 at work (I have no choice, locked down environment) and i've noticed for the last month or so that the text editor on posts (the area with font size selection, color and etc.) at AoA.net is not rendering in my browser. It renders on all my other devices which are running different versions of IE. not sure if there is some obscure setting in IE or in our firewall that might suppress the editor area, or if there is an issue with this particular build of IE. Any thoughts would be helpful...
  2. stat

stat Division Leader

Pulled out a laptop with that exact version of IE on it and tried it (I have 11 on my desktop here at work). Typing this from said laptop and it works fine.

Do you have the ability to clear your browser cache at work? Or does your IT have that locked down too?
  3. Fell

OK, you ARE the master, i feel like such a loser now. Editor is back, thanks for the tip!
    --- Double Post Merged, Sep 3, 2014, Original Post Date: Sep 3, 2014 ---
    Oh it's going to be great to have COLOR again!
    stat likes this.
  4. syberghost

syberghost Guild Admin Staff Member

reported for illegal use of rainbow
    Cirsphe, HittingSmoke and stat like this.
  5. HittingSmoke

HittingSmoke AoA Emeritus

Fuckin' rainbows. You know, you'll just be sitting there, minding your own business, and they'll come marching in and crawl up your leg and start biting the inside of your ass. And you'll be all like, "hey, get out of my ass you stupid rainbows".
    syberghost likes this.
  6. Arcfire

Arcfire Guild Admin Staff Member

Yeah man, "have you cleared your cache?" ought to be up there with "have you tried unplugging it and plugging it back in?" considering how often it causes things to magically break.
  7. syberghost

I actually used this hoary example in a discussion day before yesterday with some of our support people. What I told them was that "is it plugged in? Is it turned on?" is prudent troubleshooting, going over the basics to be sure nothing was missed, and good customer service: whereas "plug it in and turn it on" is dismissive, disrespectful, and poor customer service. The difference between doing the job and being a lazy asshole is knowing how to apply this advice to other interactions.

We'd had an incident of the latter, and I'd been involved in fixing the problem.
  8. stat

stat Division Leader

Yep, language is key to avoiding pissed off users.
  9. Fell

and so is succeeding gracefully without the (not so) humble brag. Now i'm a pissed off user :p
  10. stat

stat Division Leader

Win!
    Fell likes this.
  11. sfPuck

sfPuck Veteran Member

Rhyus and stat like this.
  12. Cirsphe

Cirsphe Veteran Member

Man you should get them to upgrade you to IE 10. IE 9 has a whole slew of issues with compliance and I think even recently the new JQuery dropped support for it a few months back as well.
  13. Fell

yeah well it's an insurance company. IT culture hell bent on controlling every bit that flows into and out of our network. They're very slow to make changes. Glacially slow.
  14. stat

stat Division Leader

Our parent company won't authorize the use of IE9. They say stick to IE8. We use IE9 anyways. IE10 and IE11 just plain don't work with our company portal, and neither do Chrome or whatever else.
  15. Signal Warden

Signal Warden Officer

My company locks everything down as well. That's why I begrudgingly work on a mac, because then I'm not gated/locked down and can do whatever I need to. Somedays it isn't worth it.
  16. Cirsphe

Cirsphe Veteran Member

Yeah one of my financial clients in japan JUST moved to IE8 this year from IE6. Let us dump a lot of crap code in our online portal, but still causing issues until they move to IE10. Fuckers were still using Office 2003 as well. Japan is even slower than the rest of the world for upgrading to new software techonologies. Mainly because they don't like to change, anything (it's a cultural thing).
    stat likes this.
  17. syberghost

My company locks everything down as well. Like, access to the IRC channels I'm in all day. And access to my home box that I'm logged onto all day. And access to gaming websites that I'm on all day. Etc.

I consider firewalls to be suggestions.
    stat and Signal Warden like this.
  18. Signal Warden

Signal Warden Officer

We are kin, you and I.
    syberghost likes this.