Imminent downtime

Discussion in 'Guild News' started by HittingSmoke, Mar 11, 2014.

Imminent downtime

Discussion in 'Guild News' started by HittingSmoke, Mar 11, 2014.

1. HittingSmoke

HittingSmoke AoA Emeritus

[FLOAT=LEFT] Ppv97DR.jpg [/FLOAT]XenForo 1.3 has a stable release and that means it's update time. The 1.3 update is going to be done along with a plethora of other backend updates and tweaks. This is roughly a full day's worth of work that I'm going to try to stretch out so there is some buffer room between specific changes to monitor for issues. At most the site might be up, down, or in and out of read only mode over the next three days. I'll try to keep hard downtime to a minimum.

In the mean time you'll still be able to access IRC at irc.GameSurge.net channel #Clan_AoA or TS3 at the usual address. Both services will be completely unaffected by the site update.

You can also take a moent during the downtime to read over the new features added in version 1.3 here: http://xenforo.com/community/threads/xenforo-1-3-0-released.70210/#post-733670

Highlights include:

• Improved editor toolbar navigation which will work better on mobile devices.
    • Native spoiler BBCode which should work better than previous implementations.
    • Multi-quote messages. You can now click multiple "Quote" buttons next to messages then insert them all at once into the reply field after rearranging their order with a drag-n-drop interface.
    • Image proxy which will make all links appear to be from our domain. This is similar to how Steam keeps external links behind a confirmation dialog. It will allow us a more consistent SSL experience once SSL is implemented.
    • More social integration. The Facebook login system is being revamped to include Google+ and Twitter. I'm going to be switching all of these on and they will work almost identically to how the current Steam authentication and registration currently works. You can associate an existing forum account with a social networking account or new users can register via their social networking account skipping some of the auth process. Or you can just not. This is entirely opt-in and nobody will be asked to associate an external account if they don't wish to. Our regular registration process isn't going anywhere.
    • Native custom BBCode engine. This is one of the last major feature XenForo was missing over other forum apps. I had quite a set of custom BBCodes built in vBulletin but I've been hesitant to recreate them using a third party BBCode addon. Now that XenForo has a native BBCode editor I'll start adding new BBCodes once again.
    • The return of awesome smilies! We used to have a massive smiley collection. Smiley management has always been a pain on pretty much any product. With XenForo 1.3 comes a fully revamped smiley management system which will allow us to bulk upload them instead of tediously uploading and labeling one at a time. These will be added over time as we rebuild a nice collection of filthy animations.
    Stay tuned for the "Upgrade Complete" post once everything is done.
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2014
    Bnorus and syberghost like this.
  2. Fell

Fell Guild Admin Staff Member

/all hail the HittingSmoke
  3. syberghost

syberghost Guild Admin Staff Member

Sorry I failed to social media this; I was deathly ill the last couple of days and forgot to mention it to leadership. Sorry.
  4. Tigsman

Tigsman Officer

5. stat

stat Division Leader

I fixed HittingSmoke's link to what I think it should be, he can change it to something else if that was not what he intended.

Thanks.
    Tigsman likes this.
  6. HittingSmoke

7. syberghost

Prolly showed up in your Google Alerts. Because rape.
  8. HittingSmoke

Actually I just skimmed it and I have read it. Something like six months ago. No idea how it got into my clipboard recently though.
  9. Tigsman

Tigsman Officer

Was a little creepy to me too as the reader looking for Xenforo update :eek:
    stat likes this.
  10. syberghost

11. HittingSmoke

I forgot to update this post in a timely manner.

This weekend I'm going to be out of town and out of cell reception range with no way to get in contact with anyone. In light of that I'm saving the update until I get back. That way if something broken is discovered on Thursday night then it won't be stuck that way until Monday.
  12. Fell

Fell Guild Admin Staff Member

/Bring on Multi-quote! So what are you thinking now HS as far as implementation/timing? And lest i sound pushy, let me say it's not intended, I appreciate what you do around here!
  13. HittingSmoke

Came back from camping to some serious family stuff to deal with. Still in the midst of that and dealing with a pleasant round of food poisoning today. I'm hoping for some time next week.
  14. HittingSmoke

Okay, I'm stuck at home today with no car. I'm determined to get this rolled out today.
    Bnorus likes this.