New Elder Scrolls Online Poll - mid February

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by syberghost, Feb 17, 2014.

Based on the info currently available, will you be buying The Elder Scrolls Online at or near launch

1. Hell yes, it's going to be my main game

9 vote(s)
  2. Yes, I'll buy it and play through the solo content, and then leave

2 vote(s)
  3. No, but I might join AoA there in the future if it's still a main sub-based game for us

4 vote(s)
  4. No, but I might play it if it goes F2P some day

10 vote(s)
  5. Not enough information yet to decide

3 vote(s)

New Elder Scrolls Online Poll - mid February

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by syberghost, Feb 17, 2014.

1. syberghost

syberghost Guild Admin Staff Member

This might not be our last poll, but there's been a ton of information released lately, so let's get a impression of the current state of the clan on this.
  2. jeverian

jeverian Veteran Member

Might not leave if friends don't leave.
  3. syberghost

Yeah, this is still based on what we know now; people's plans could still change again closer to launch, or even after launch.
  4. sfPuck

sfPuck Veteran Member

I usually beta test a game to try to break it and report bugs. I'm a little ashamed to say I was in this beta more to "check it out" with my wife. All bugs aside, I was left with a resounding feeling of meh.
    I was pretty gung-ho for this before I got a look at it. I'm a bit sad as I see a number of things in it that I think should be really cool.
    syberghost likes this.
  5. Blaise

Blaise Veteran Member

I'm with you on the the meh feeling from beta. I decided to give the game an honest try though, because things I am most interested in were not well demonstrated in the beta that look challenging and rewarding. Particularly how the open weapon & combat skills increases flexibility, how the crafting skills turn out end game, fun exploring the world (including treasure hunting), and pvp to support player emperors. Collecting veteran gear sounds challenging as well.

What has me worried is the subscription business model. The launch is going to be crazy; what mmo launch doesn't have issues? But will the player base hit critical mass in time for the economy and player community to take off before people bail? Do these guys have enough cash to keep the game running through a rough start?
  6. syberghost

I almost typed "they spent over $300 million on this; they've got money to weather a launch", but then I remembered APB.

Hopefully they're going into this having listened to the veteran MMO folks who worked on the game, and advised them of this need. This is their first MMORPG, though.
  7. Arcfire

Arcfire Guild Admin Staff Member

Faction locked races is enough for me to say pass. I already ranted about it in a separate thread though so I will abstain.
    syberghost and Sudoshred like this.
  8. Morgis

Morgis Officer

Not sure at this point. Really waiting on EQN but might give this a shot, need to actually get into a beta weekend and look around(too lazy to download it this weekend)
  9. zenix

zenix Veteran Member

After getting to do some pvp today, I'm a firm no for this game. Not very many positive aspects to this game to lean me to buying.
    syberghost likes this.
  10. sfPuck

sfPuck Veteran Member

I'm leaning on a pretty heavy no at this point. The crafting is great. I just find myself gearing up with cool stuff I crafted and then dreading going to "play" the game.
    syberghost likes this.
  11. syberghost

I'll do a new poll in a couple of weeks, with no more "wait and see" options, and a "I have no interest in this game" option, so we can get a "ready for launch" picture of AoA involvement in this game. Of course, a couple of very committed people who wanted to run a guild in it could recruit and make anything happen, no matter how that turns out.
  12. Ith

Ith Officer

I spent a lot of time in the beta this past weekend. the game for me was pretty to look at but the console type controls annoyed me. If a hard NO was an option I would have selected that in the poll.
  13. syberghost

14. Ballzz

Ballzz Veteran Member

You call me out for bashing NW and yet here you go again with your thinly veiled subscription bashing. We get it. In your opinion everything has to be F2P because you think you are entitled to play games for free or something. Only problem with your comparison is that ESO is not SWTOR. Not even remotely similar. But that's ok Syber, keep on bashing!
  15. syberghost

You're right; SWTOR was based on an IP hundreds of times more popular and successful, and launched at a time when there were still several high-profile MMORPGs with subscriptions and stable memberships, and was in a genre not saturated in the industry, Science Fantasy. ESO is based on a franchise whose entire video games sales total about half that of LEGO Star Wars. It's a franchise that has made less than a 10th of a percent as much money as the Star Wars franchise, and is targeted at Heroic Fantasy, the single most saturated genre in MMORPGs. Not even remotely similar situations.

I'm sure this is exactly the right time to buck the wisdom of the entire industry. I mean, it's not like this is their first MMO, right?

I'm not in the ESO forum posting this negative news (and not just because there isn't one); I'm in General. I've posted plenty of positive news about this game as well. If you get your own division forum, I won't be popping into every thread to bring it down; but as long as there are people who haven't made up their minds yet, I'm going to post news I see about this game, both positive and negative. That's part of my job as Social Media Manager.

Frankly I hope you recruit enough new people to form a division, and that it thrives; but that's not going to be because I blew smoke up everybody's ass.
    rivett likes this.
  16. Ballzz

Ballzz Veteran Member

Pick and choose what you want to make similarities but the fact remains that SWTOR was a hugely flawed game with missing/broken PvP and very little end game content at launch. You can insinuate that it went F2P because of these mysterious market forces all you want but the reality is that the end game was subpar. Millions of people paid for the box and paid a sub until they got to the end game and saw what the end game was...then left. ESO has a massive amount of end game. Maybe it will suck or maybe some won't like it but it won't fail for lack of content. Also, ESO has functional and extensive open PvP that's going to be there at launch not some broken pipe dream that never materializes and then gets removed from the game entirely like SWTOR. Ilum ring any bells?

Besides, if you want to get nit picky about it..SWTOR is STILL a sub game unless all you want to do is level up and see the character storyline. For anyone wanting to experience more than that the only option that makes financial sense is subscribing because their a la carte menu options are horrible. SWTOR is not a very good example of a F2P game. It's more of a free to try game with heavy pay gates to content and features.

p.s. Did you seriously just compare ES with Lego Star Wars? That's laughable and not even remotely comparable. Maybe next you can compare ESO with Candy Crush. The Star Wars Franchise is huge but it also contains a ton of non gamer related fans (e.g. movies) and games that are not comparable to an MMO or even an RPG. Not that any of that makes any difference. Skyrim alone sold more than 20 million copies and that doesn't count the previous games or the crossover MMO crowd. ESO has a plenty big base of people to draw from so that's irrelevant.

The point was that ESO and SWTOR are not similar games in style or execution or even features so you posting thinly veiled insinuations that the game will end up like SWTOR is nothing but smoke up everyone's ass.
    Morgis likes this.
  17. syberghost

18. Allomein

Allomein AoA Emeritus

I'll be getting it for sure - not sure yet what kind of time I will be able to sink into it but will at a minimum be playing with my Nephew for a while. Also plan to get D3 expansion and play through that.
  19. syberghost

Ars Technica weighs in:

--- Double Post Merged, Mar 17, 2014, Original Post Date: Mar 17, 2014 ---

The EU server will be located in North America at launch, and move to the EU later.

Lots of other stuff about post-beta changes in there.
  20. Blaise

Blaise Veteran Member

That author turned me off when he stated "This certainly beats the brutal nightmare that UO's ridiculous player-versus-player system quickly became." Sure, there were issues, but I look back at the classic UO with fondness when MMOs were really hard and accomplishments were something special.