Nvidia RTX

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Fell, Aug 20, 2018.

Nvidia RTX

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Fell, Aug 20, 2018.

1. Fell

Fell Guild Admin Staff Member

Curious if anyone is watching news on the new Nvidia RTX cards (2070, 2080, 2080ti). They’re talking up a number of features including “real time ray tracing” and Ai that sound snazzy in terms of potential benefits but strike me much like SLI and other vaporware in that they’re only as good as programmers ability and willingness to adopt. At $1180 for the ti card, not sure I want to make that plunge.
    AndyCapp likes this.
  2. RIP

RIP Veteran Member

Currently there are no games that support this real time ray tracing. It is largely a future proofing of hardware with what may be coming from developers. However if developers do not jump on board and develop games that make use of this new ray tracing method then it means nothing. There was a video I have yet to watch that has new benchmarks out for the RTX line, and hopefully they run them up against the 1000 series cards from last generation that nVidia made. See what kind of improvements these offer in relation to your previous GTX 1070 and 1080's.

Right now I would not invest in the new cards on a possibility of future proofing of a concept no game developer is currently doing or using in any game at this time.
    AndyCapp likes this.
  3. RIP

RIP Veteran Member

Here is a pretty solid review by a youtube channel RedGamingTech. His reviews are generally very solid and pretty unbiased too.

Fell likes this.
  4. Fell

Fell Guild Admin Staff Member

Performance is compelling that’s for sure. Not due to the new features but still, tempting to pick one up if I were playing more pc games right now. I can wait till the price tag comes down or skip a generation unless something serious happens with SC or another AAA title.