NVidia? Update now!

Discussion in 'All Points Bulletin' started by Gahd, May 7, 2010.

NVidia? Update now!

Discussion in 'All Points Bulletin' started by Gahd, May 7, 2010.

1. Gahd

Gahd Member

New drivers can be found here: http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index5.aspx?lang=en-us
  2. Odissa

Odissa Veteran Member

That beta driver is only for the 400 series cards. Everything else is still 197.57.
  3. Gahd

Gahd Member

4. Odissa

Odissa Veteran Member

The 197.57 beta for everyone else is the same update, looks like the 400 series just got alittle extra love on their beta.
  5. RIP

RIP Veteran Member

Yeah it is due to their ability to do DirectX 11 features for graphics, teselation, lighting, and new texturing tricks. Currently the GTX470's are on the market in mass with only a single company at this time having a GTX480 card which they have overclocked a bit. Now this one that is over clocked has me worried. the reason I say this that these video cards run extremely hot, so much so that the company that manufactures the card for resale has a card inside warning users to let their PC cool off for an extended period of time after using it for anything before even touching the video card otherwise they could receive a severe burn upon touching the video card. So to over clock it to generate even more heat for a minor performance boost seems rather foolish to me.

Personally I do not trust the card's long term use due to it running exceptionally hot even after short gaming sessions. For hardcore users, a short session is like 6-8 hours and i am sure that you could use that card to heat your house during the winter, more so if you run them in SLI.
  6. Gahd

Gahd Member

I love you RIP.
  7. Jobtik

Jobtik Veteran Member

Ive been running a GTX 480 SuperClocked Edition for a little over three weeks now and the warmest ive seen it under full load is 78°C and it idles around 50°C.

It does run warm, but as long as it is made to run at that level all is well. From the reading ive done, you dont want to exceed 105°C, so ive got a bit of wiggle room.

EVGA does offer a limited lifetime warranty as well, so that is good news :D
  8. RIP

RIP Veteran Member

Yeah I guess, but would not want to loose a case fan in that setup and have the potential for excess heat to build up in the system as well. Additional heat to a system is never a good thing in my opinion. I am wondering, do you have a thermal tester of some kinda that can grab the ambient tempature from inside the case under heavy load and well as measure the temperature at the PCI-e slot to see how much of the cards heat might be dissapaiting into the motherboard via the PCI-e slot? If so I am curious to see that those numbers might be.
  9. HittingSmoke

HittingSmoke AoA Emeritus

lol my Radeon 4870HD Runs at about 90C at full load. Any other card I would start sweating and unplug PC but it's XFX so I've got a lifetime warranty. Most I'll suffer is a couple weeks w/o PC games
  10. Jobtik

Jobtik Veteran Member

Apparently full load while im gaming and full load while running an OpenGL stress test are two different things!

I let the stress test run for an hour and it seemed to hold steady at 90C, that is with the fan on Auto control. If i put the fan to 100% it falls down to 84C.

Im sure there is a fair amount of radiated heat in the case from the GFX card, and if it were positioned over other critical components it may not be good. Thankfully i bought a board that supports quad SLI(i never planned on using it all, just sounded cool) so there was a lot of room and choices to move the card about.

It was somewhat humorous to see a warning sticker on the packaging not to touch the card while it is running, and to allow for ample cool off time before handling!

As far as other temps in the case, CPU and ambient temps have not changed when upgrading from a GTX 260 to the 480. I may have to borrow a temperature probe from work and tape it on the MB next to the PCI-E slot and see what kind of heat is radiated off of this beast!