Ouch, my wallet.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Arcfire, Oct 3, 2014.

Ouch, my wallet.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Arcfire, Oct 3, 2014.

1. Arcfire

Arcfire Guild Admin Staff Member

2. stat

stat Division Leader

I'm still going tobwait a year or two to get mine.
  3. syberghost

syberghost Guild Admin Staff Member

For a few dollars more, the 780 Ti is still faster. Uses more power and generates more heat, but if you cared about that, you wouldn't be shopping on this end of the price/performance curve.
  4. Bnorus

Bnorus Veteran Member

Yeah you will be getting a SLI of GTX980! Gonna change my GTX570 for a GTX970 too this month. Only 350$ here. Though I will go with the MSI one :p
  5. Arcfire

I absolutely do care about heat output and power consumption, because I'm tired of my bedroom being a sweat lodge in the summer. Yes, the 780 Ti performs a bit better, but isn't it still going for like $700? That isn't really just a few dollars more when you are a college student... $370 is just about the max amount I am comfortable spending on a new card at the moment. A bit less performance and way more efficiency for about half the price seems like a no-brainier to me.
    Fell likes this.
  6. Fell

Fell Guild Admin Staff Member

i bought 2x780ti recently, i can vouch they're hot as hell. but not worse than my 2xGTX590s whch was 4GPUs worth of SLI awesomeness. I applaud you for minding the budget, i wish i had more impulse control when it comes to computer parts :p
  7. syberghost

$469 on Newegg five seconds ago.
  8. Arcfire

Interesting. No idea how I was finding prices of $700 the other day. Still, reading those reviews, I don't think I would be comfortable running one of those without doing water cooling which would bring the cost gap up a fair bit. I'm just going to have patience and wait on the shipment of the newer hardware I think. Seems like a less risky bet in the long run.
  9. syberghost

For what it's worth, mine's factory overclocked with fans, and it's been absolutely rock solid.
  10. Arcfire

Yeah it looked like a 50/50 shot of having a great card or having it DOA, though given the average intelligence of people who try to build machines these days there is probably some operator error involved in those DOA cases. End of the day though $360 is already pushing my budget allowance. I just hope the next shipment arrives soon. It's been 4 days since I placed the order, so here's hoping they get shipments on a weekly basis. If I'm not going to spend the extra $100 on a 780 Ti then I'm definitely not going to spend an extra $100 to get the 970 sooner from a third party at 20% markup.
    syberghost likes this.