PAX AUS '14 Interview w/ Erin Roberts

Discussion in 'Star Citizen' started by Arcfire, Nov 15, 2014.

PAX AUS '14 Interview w/ Erin Roberts

Discussion in 'Star Citizen' started by Arcfire, Nov 15, 2014.

1. Arcfire

Arcfire Guild Admin Staff Member

Stakas is one of the Starcast regulars, and just happens to live in Australia. He made it out to PAX Australia to talk to Erin Roberts about all sorts of good stuff.

Somewhere in there it is mentioned that Squadron 42 is currently set as five chapters, with each chapter containing 30+ Missions, working out to 10-20 hours of gameplay per chapter. So the whole single player experience will likely work out to between 50 and 100 hours. We were discussing this in some other thread the other day but I couldn't track down which one.
  2. Fell

Fell Guild Admin Staff Member

we were discussing on teamspeak I think, the night of the q&a/panel
  3. Arcfire

Ah that's right, no wonder I couldn't find it lol.
  4. Fell

You know the more i think about this, the idea of 50+ hours of gameplay and still a PU to look forwards to afterwards? priceless... I don't remember the freelancer playthrough time, i know it had a lot of side missions you could do but i'd be surprised if the campaign was more than 30 hours. this is getting to be like every game ever done, combined and on steroids (ok i exaggerate. a little).
  5. stat

stat Division Leader

Ive played through it multiple times (Freelancer), and I would say 25-30 hours is about right for it, before you start the open ended part of the game.
    Fell likes this.
  6. Fell

you know in the last 104TC, he was talking about being entrepreneurial in SC, like being a medic and being paid for your services. He talked at length about having a reputation system like Uber where bad drivers and bad customers get called out. i'm like, fuck, he's building an uber app into this game on top of everything else. Just amazing when you think of all the promises made and how much has to be brought into this game to make it work. I' mean Uber has how many billions in funding and he's talking about building that capability like it's nothing. (OK most of their $ goes to marketing, but still, it boggles the mind).
  7. Arcfire

Yeah the rating system has been talked about a bit in the past for jobs boards, but the idea of extending it to individual NPCs is a bit mind boggling. Just imagine the sheer amount of data that will need crunching to keep track of all those interactions on a per-player basis... NPCs might have to have some sort of time based memory culling just to keep that database size manageable... very interesting.
  8. Fell

I didnt realize NPCs were included in the rating system, wow, that's ambitious...
  9. Cirsphe

Cirsphe Veteran Member

Not sure how Uber works, but if it is just a straight up numerical based rating system it wouldn't take up much data in a database at all. It's the comments that can cause database sizes to balloon. But even still, it all matters on how complicated they make it. I could see it being implemented in just two tables which would mean it could be fast as well.

Also it's always most difficult to create a new system from scratch, but if they can use Uber for inspiration, it will reduce the design time significantly.
  10. Fell

well its more than a rating tracker issue. It's location based demand routing. You have a changing group of suppliers and changing demand patterns and uber handles all that with a rating and payment system on top. I agree take know concepts and leverage them by all means. What's amazing to me is I'm sure uber spent millions on their platform and that's only one sliver of cig's plans
  11. Signal Warden

Signal Warden Officer

Well honestly, they can just RNG the "uber" numbers when the NPC generates. Then if that NPC isn't picked it's wiped. The NPC would only become a permanent part of the database once they've been rated by a user. Eventually it could be populated by full user reviews. I think it would end up being more of a Yelp set up where their abilities are given but hidden and have to be discovered and displayed exclusively via user reviews. I don't think it's going to be as comprehensive as Uber is. I don't think it would have to be.
  12. Fell

yelp has spent millions on their platform too. To me its not so much whose app the game mechanics might most resemble. It's that, conceptually, they are contemplating game mechanics that mirror business models that entire companies have staked their futures on. That's just mind blowing to me. Yeah they don't have to deliver nearly the same quality or service level, but its still seems pretty ambitious. It also gives me confidence that CR isn't some bumbling developer hoping for a payday, he's really thought this stuff through. I also think it shows how much he's grown even in the past year since the AC launch, using references that people can easily identify with to explain his thinking about future development ideas. He's really looking more and more like a marketer, not just a tech jock.
  13. Signal Warden

Signal Warden Officer

I think it was on Guard Frequency the other day that Ben said he and Chris were actually working out system mechanics like this back in like 2010, so I imagine they have a really solid roadmap that CR is sticking to. That same show, Ben also said that they were talking about doing a Wing Commander for GameCube, so that tells you how long he's been putting it together in his head.
  14. Arcfire

Sounds like they really dodged a laser bolt there huehue.