Project Gorgon. A new MMO for old school MMO players.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by HittingSmoke, Aug 25, 2016.

Project Gorgon. A new MMO for old school MMO players.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by HittingSmoke, Aug 25, 2016.

1. HittingSmoke

HittingSmoke AoA Emeritus

Someone showed me this a few days ago and since we're having a family vacation I've been playing it every day while not out and about.

It's a fantasy MMORPG designed to play like the original days of games like Asheron's Call and Everquest. There are no classes. Just skills that you can train and level. You level skills by using skills.

There are some rather unconventional skills to train and level. Hell, even death is a skill that you get XP for. There is a mechanic called "Words of Power". These are not just skills you click. You level up your Lore skill by reading about the world and discovering things in it. When you level up your Lore skill you can use it to craft Power Words. Power Words are randomly generated one-time-use words that you must say in open chat. The words have effects that happen when you say them. They run the gamut of buffs, debuffs, suicide, teleportation to different parts of the world, changing into animals, killing everyone in the vicinity (very rare apparently), and other silly or dangerous things. The words have no tie to any character. After a word is generated you can tell it to someone else to use. You can sell them. Share them with friends. Or even trick noobs into saying them. But after a word is said it's gone. They're also not saved anywhere. You have to write them down when you generate them. If you forget one it's lost.

[​IMG]

The game is in pre-alpha right now so if free to play. They've had a successful and an unsuccessful kickstarter but honestly this game feels more complete right now in pre-alpha than some MMOs I've played at release. The current plan is at release to only wipe economic items like currency and other related items leaving your prerelease characters and skills in tact so you're not wasting time by playing before launch provided there aren't any hiccups that require a wipe.

The graphics look quite dated but not terrible. I think they're building the core game first which is why it feels so complete then they're going to work on graphics and animations later. It's made in Unity which I'm not a big fan of but it is versatile as hell.

http://projectgorgon.com/game/play-now

My name is Cleamen if anyone wants to join.
  2. syberghost

syberghost Guild Admin Staff Member

Unity isn't the best performing engine, but the thing about it is, it does everything acceptably, and it's easy as balls to port. You can develop your game on PC and then if you suddenly realize one day that there's say a big Nintendo 3DS community that would play it, a tiny team can port it in no time. It targets like two dozen platforms.

It's also cheap as hell, with the pricing based on your revenues and starting at free, so you can just use it and not worry about what happens if you have a hit on your hands or a flop; if you make enough to have to pay more, you'll be able to afford it.

My 12 year old nephew is building an RPG in it; major developers have built games we've raved about on these forums out of it. Shadowrun Returns, Rust, Endless Space; people have even built MMORPGs on it.

I'm a fan. It's not perfect, but I'm a fan.
  3. HittingSmoke

I feel similar about Unity as I do Java. Useful, accessible, and portable, but the majority of things made with it are terrible and messy. I guess I'm not so much not a fan of Unity as not a fan of 99.99% of games made with it.

The game is damn great though and feels like a very late alpha or early beta. Probably in part thanks to how much Unity does for you.

Another thing great about this game, it was obviously made for adults. The adult NPCs in the game act like adults. Sex and swearing included.
    syberghost likes this.
  4. HittingSmoke

Still playing this. It's out of free alpha and up on Steam early access. Currently 25% off. There's a lot to do in this game. It's great for logging in and dicking around while socializing. They've added new zones, a lot of new armor styles, weapons, and even all-out classes very recently. Development is fast enough that you can feel it as you play. I don't usually recommend early access games but this one had a free alpha for a very long time and I think is in a state worth supporting.

I'm going to join a guild called Asheron's Legacy for ex-AC players. My name is Cleamen in game. Feel free to hit me up.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/342940/
    AndyCapp and Fell like this.