Protect IP Act don't allow it to pass

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Municiple, Nov 16, 2011.

Protect IP Act don't allow it to pass

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Municiple, Nov 16, 2011.

1. Municiple

Municiple Veteran Member

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2013
  2. Municiple

Municiple Veteran Member

[​IMG]
    this bill could result in shut down of our website as well D:<
  3. Ragter

Ragter AoA Emeritus

so has any internet "protests" or "petitions" ever stopped congress from doing any internet laws?

we're still a bunch of faceless people with no money fighting against. . .

lobbyists that know the best strip clubs in town. . .

I still don't know what the "99%" has done "yet" or even what the "tea party" has done either. I know they "elected" some people but doesn't seem they've changed much. . .

To me this is why i have zero faith in politics. . .

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/wed-november-16-2011/superbad

If the forum gods could gets this video to play?

Congress has to pass a budget that they like. . . or a budget that they don't like will be forced upon them. . . or they might just appeal the entire law and forget that the entire thing happened. . .
  4. Municiple

Municiple Veteran Member

For the most part i agree with you but in this case id have to argue that plenty of petitions have been successful so long as they recieve enough media
  5. Ragter

Ragter AoA Emeritus

real paper petitions do get things done. They are much more likely to get media coverage.

I doubt any major news media would take any internet protest seriously since there are no faces behind the petition/protest.
  6. Municiple

Municiple Veteran Member

We'll just have to see if any good comes of it if anything at all.. I may just be a bit too paranoid but I really don't feel like letting the entertainment industry control how we spend our late afternoons >.>
  7. Ragter

Ragter AoA Emeritus

oh its a good cause. People abuse it and once the floodgates are open you can't close them.
  8. Finwath

Finwath Veteran Member

I give them points for this end-around of net neutrality.
    Whoever thought this one up is a crafty bastard.
  9. Fatetaker

Fatetaker Veteran Member

Yea, too bad the president already bypassed the congress which has refused to pass the obviously bad for the consumer/end user "net neutrality" Act and has instead added it to the FCC regulations via executive order. This Act as well as Cap & Trade which was also blocked by congress is also added by executive order to the EPA regulations. Both go into effect November 20th 2011.

[​IMG]
  10. syberghost

syberghost Guild Admin Staff Member

Auto-submitted form letters are basically ignored. If you want your individual voice to be heard and you're not attaching a large check to it, you basically have two effective methods available to you:

1. Write a letter yourself, sign it with a pen, and mail it in an envelope with a stamp.
    2. Pick up the phone and call. Yes, your Congressman will take your call, especially if you call on one of the days he's in his district instead of DC.

#2 works even if you never speak to the Congressman directly.
  11. Heloril

Heloril Veteran Member

12. Fatetaker

Fatetaker Veteran Member

We can all agree, pizza is a vegetable.... really guys? c'mon....
  13. Gahd

Gahd Member

"How far are they willing to take this?"

I have yet to see the honest answer here... which is as far as they can still make a buck and protect profits...

Guess what, you can fight this all you fucking want, but the bottom line is that to fight it, you have to stand up and go "But I want illegal links!" and at the end of the day... they don't fucking care. To them, they go "Well, these are the reasons this needs to happen" and the fight they are getting back is "That's great and all, but what about when you take that to the next level?" to which they go "There isn't a next level..... this is about the illegal stuff, not what could happen next..."

We're getting to the point where we have spider webbed the globe. Next logical step from here is to cut out the middlemen and establish a p2p style internet controlled by the people.... good luck with all that, but it would be the only way to actually circumvent this shit.

I gave them a call about a week ago, but the bottom line is that this all comes down to fickle bullshit. On one side, you have the populace saying they want to be free to use copyrighted material, but the second you infringe their copyrights, they are up in arms defending it... I had this exact conversation with my roomate who does art, as she was grabbing images to mix into digital art projects and simply did not understand the concept of "stock photography" which is designed specifically for purposes like what she was doing. When I asked more, she simply told me that art is art, and anything she found was free reign to use. When I asked about the final project when she was done, and what rights that should be afforded, she was fully under the impression that it was hers to charge for and make a living off of, regardless of where the source images came from because she had changed them to be hers.... It's this simple breakdown in human psychology that has gotten us where we are today... "Give me what I want, when I fucking want it, and then protect me for it regardless of how I got it in the first place."

At this point, I refer back to massive human executions....
  14. syberghost

syberghost Guild Admin Staff Member

Which will immediately be blocked by most IRC networks and many people's TS3 servers, as it will be the ideal way to evade bans. That's why we (ColdFront) block TOR already.
  15. Fatetaker

Fatetaker Veteran Member

We like to refer to those as population bailouts :icon_lipsrsealerd2: