Question: What there some kind of significant exploitation event recently?

Discussion in 'Neverwinter' started by JDogg, May 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Question: What there some kind of significant exploitation event recently?

Discussion in 'Neverwinter' started by JDogg, May 19, 2013.

1. JDogg

JDogg Veteran Member

I've been busy with some offline matters this past week so I have not been focused much on Neverwinter as a going concern however when I dropped in this afternoon to invoke with my toons I noticed that the trading house was offline and that there was an ongoing discussion in the zone chat about the cause being from cheaters. So I ask.. does anyone know the details behind this? Is there a fundamental problem with the game/economy that has been exploited significantly? If so, has anyone heard from Cryptic/PWE on how that gets unraveled to protect the integrity of the game, assuming that is an goal.
  2. JDogg

JDogg Veteran Member

Never mind.. Reddit gave me infos. Wow that's crazy and I hope they iron it out quick. I imagine its got to be near impossible to keep offenders from just making new accounts and repeatedly exploiting bugs.
  3. Awlbiste

Awlbiste Veteran Member

For anyone else just as confused as I was: http://www.reddit.com/r/Neverwinter/comments/1empg6/inb4_game_dies/

It was an exploit to get AD through the auction house on the gateway. It appears to have been fixed but there is potentially a LOT of ill-gained AD/zen out there right now. Going to be interesting to see how they deal with it.
  4. syberghost

syberghost Guild Admin Staff Member

5. Ikagawa

Ikagawa Web Admin Staff Member

6. HittingSmoke

HittingSmoke AoA Emeritus

I have never laughed so hard at a game exploit before. That's downright incompetence. Somewhere at Cryptic there is a very embarassed dev right now.

If the input wasn't sanitized for mathematical operators I wonder what else it left exposed database wise.
  7. Ikagawa

And a poster on the subreddit claims that it's an exploit that has been known about since Closed Beta, but Cryptic/PW kept closing tickets about it.
  8. Awlbiste

Awlbiste Veteran Member

Two *more* hours of downtime as of half an hour ago. I've also read lots of people saying this has been in the game since day one. Silly devs, silly silly.

At least I only put $10 into the game, but the fact that it was turned into now worthless AD on the broker makes me hope they fix this. Ah well.
  9. JDogg

JDogg Veteran Member

I'd be very careful about getting upset about unsubstantiated claims on the Internet. No software is perfect because it is created by fallible humans. There is a great deal of meta data kept with these systems so I am certain they will be able to unravel who did what, when, and how often then take appropriate action. It will take time which sucks but I expect and accept that there will be big bugs that get uncovered. I just hope that they are able to restore stability to the in-game economy.
  10. Awlbiste

Awlbiste Veteran Member

Far from upset. Mainly amused. It's quite a big error they let go through to an "open beta/soft launch" though, not really something that should be brushed off as a simple human mistake.

Reports are that it was much worse on Dragon than it was on Mindflayer.
  11. Ikagawa

Not exactly unsubstantiated. It was in STO before NWO.

[​IMG]
  12. JDogg

JDogg Veteran Member

well let's be realistic about game development. many many hands are involved from design to implementation. it's not possible to deliver a perfect gaming service. it's simply NOT. the goal can only be to deliver a service that meets the needs of the customer at a reasonable price point. when there is a service impacting event (such as mass exploitation of a bug) there are many people working on fixing the root cause so the service can be improved, mitigating damages, responding to customer complaints, etc. humans are all over the place with these things and human mistakes are always possible. not brushing it off though because this is a really big issue. i'm not agruing that point at all. simply acknowledging that i can totally see how a bug, even a big one, can make it into production.
  13. JDogg

JDogg Veteran Member

14. JDogg

JDogg Veteran Member

Also I clearly did not grammar check the title of this thread. WTF?! :)
  15. Awlbiste

Awlbiste Veteran Member

I don't expect a "perfect" game (whatever that even means), I expect very large game-breaking errors to be fixed before they allow people to put real money into the game. And that STO screenshot just proves my point further. I mean come on now. This is more than just human mistakes.
    1 person likes this.
  16. JDogg

JDogg Veteran Member

I agree.

Whether this is due to simple error, intellectual laziness, gross negligence, or some kind of sabotage I suppose it does not matter. I'm sure someone at Cryptic is accountable for the performance of the service and will have to account for what just happened and give a pound of flesh as penitence.

This is probably a common risk associated with building games from the same engine. It may be entirely possible that some issues are just dang hard to fix without significant re-design and so they end up trying to mitigate rather than eliminate the source of a known bug. For those looking forward to Elder Scrolls Online you probably are aware of a very serious security vulnerability that is in every single one of their games dating back to 2001 (source). I have no idea if ESO will launch with the same vulnerabilities but given that it's essentially the same engine there is good reason to believe that it will.
  17. jeverian

jeverian Veteran Member

Something like this is unacceptable. We'll learn a lot about this company by seeing how they respond to it. They may call this Open Beta, but once they start taking money, they have an obligation to the consumer.
  18. Awlbiste

Awlbiste Veteran Member

Whoever runs their twitter is saying complete wipes are "off the table" and they are currently working at fixing the cause still.
  19. Syn

Syn Veteran Member

I would expect at least a rollback.
  20. Awlbiste

Awlbiste Veteran Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.