Report: Xbox 360 To Support Blu-Ray With External Drive

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RIP, Oct 8, 2008.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RIP, Oct 8, 2008.

1. RIP

RIP Veteran Member

October 8, 2008

Xbox 360 may soon be getting its own Blu-ray drive. Toshiba-Samsung Storage Technology is reportedly under contract to manufacture the external drives for the console.

According to a report from hardware publication X-Bit Labs, possible specs for the product are unavailable, but the report notes an unsourced rumor suggesting a $100-$150 price tag for the Xbox 360 external Blu-ray drive.

Sony has long touted its exclusive Blu-ray support as a component of its advantage against its competition. Microsoft previously offered an add-on drive for Xbox 360 that supported the rival HD-DVD format, but discontinued it when that format ultimately failed.

Since then, Microsoft has offered somewhat mixed messages on the Blu-ray issue. While Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer said earlier this year the company would support Blu-ray "in ways that make sense," at the same time, Group product manager Aaron Greenberg said, "Xbox is not currently in talks with Sony or the Blu-ray Association to integrate Blu-ray into the Xbox experience."

And in June, Xbox president Robbie Bach downplayed increasing demand for Blu-ray, stating, "most people look at it and say, ‘I am not going to pay extra for that’."

This latest report says a launch date for the Xbox 360 external Blu-ray drive has yet to surface, but theorizes it may be announced just ahead of the holiday season with the aim of pressing the company's advantage against the PlayStation 3. Another likely launch window could be early next year at the Consumer Electronics Show, says the report, since at that time there'll be less competition for media attention.

POSTED: 10.18AM PST, 10/08/08 - Leigh Alexander
  2. Ragter

Ragter AoA Emeritus

hopefully that means quicker load times since the system is already powered on.
  3. glow

glow AoA Emeritus

powered on and SEXAH
  4. Nywen

Nywen Veteran Member

Yay! Maybe my husband can take and keep his 360 on the ship and put it to good use since I'm never parting with my PS3 without a fight! Not to mention I can mail him the blu-ray disc I get instead of trying to find a way to rip the blu-ray movies.
  5. glow

glow AoA Emeritus

They get 360's on the ships?!
  6. Overmind

Overmind Veteran Member

yeah but it makes up for the 1 can of light beer they are alloted.
  7. glow

glow AoA Emeritus

Also the fact that the only action you are getting is broke back mountain style monkey butt luvin... ;)
  8. Nywen

Nywen Veteran Member

You guys are so GAY!

Subs = Broke Back Mountain. Most ships are co-ed. :p
  9. glow

glow AoA Emeritus

Alright then, ships are the way to go, the women have a limited selection, that raises my odds!
  10. Nywen

Nywen Veteran Member

:lol: I hope you know even on the smaller ships the ratio is 3:1 (males:female), not excluding the lesbians.
  11. Ragter

Ragter AoA Emeritus

so... how about those blu-rays?
  12. Overmind

Overmind Veteran Member

well the good thing I've seen about buying Blu-rays are that they they dropping in price to purchase.. like $15.99 a movie now... so they are almost priced like premium DVD's. Last year around this time it was $25 on average.
  13. Nywen

Nywen Veteran Member

The only blu-ray that I've seen on a HD tv was the "Planet Earth" series and that really makes me want to get one soon. Picture was amazing :shock:

I wish the prices here were under $20 for a blu-ray disc. I'm spending between $25-$35 per movie. But it's just like when dvds came out, there were expensive and prices slowly fell once them became the norm.

Other than that, well I can't see any difference if I watch them on my 5 year old tv thru component cables.