Say goodbye to the Oculus Rift

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by syberghost, Feb 1, 2017.

Say goodbye to the Oculus Rift

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by syberghost, Feb 1, 2017.

1. syberghost

syberghost Social Media Manager Staff Member

2. Fell

Fell Guild Admin Staff Member

Well that happened relatively quickly...
  3. Rhyus

Rhyus Veteran Member

Wait, wasn't Oculus Rift designed by a couple of guys and used Kickstarter to fund the building of it and then Facebook bought them out??
  4. RIP

RIP Veteran Member

Yes Oculus was a kickstarter project and after it was completed (the kickstarter) Palmer Luckey tried to complete the development of the project. However this guy did not possess the complete technical know how to actually achieve this. As a result at one of the game trade shows he met and showed his designs to John Carmack from iD Software which is owned by Zenimax. As such he began to aide Luckey in the development and at one point the Oculus team was housed in one of Zenimax's studios working along side Carmack. In the end Carmack left iD and Zenimax and went to work with Oculus as lead technical advisor/developer for Oculus and a short time later Oculus was snatched up by Facebook for $2 billion. That is when the lawsuits began, however there were arguments made that Zenimax had no real interest in developing VR and that was why Carmack left to go work at Oculus.

Now according to Zenimax they had trade secrets and other shit taken from them by Carmack and in the end they wanted a big slice of that $2 billion Facebook paid and in the end tried to sue for $4 billion. In the end the jury awarded Zenimax $500 million for breach of NDA and indicated that there were no technical documents, secrets, or designs taken by Oculus. Overall I am curious as to how far Zenimax was into the development of their VR option. Was it something they truly feel was taken from them or were they a bunch of greedy whores wanting a big slice of the $2 billion Palmer Luckey was paid for Oculus Rift by Facebook.

Now on the kickstarter side of things, when the sale went through with Facebook backers were pissed. And rightfully so because at this point the million plus that was raised for this kickstarter was basically disappearing before the eyes of the backers themselves. Additionally this lead to the question as to what the backers are entitled to give the huge sale price of the Oculus Rift. In the end they were basically entitled to what their pledge stated, and prior to the launch of the Rift all backers received an early version of the Oculus Rift (version 1.1 I believe) and the retail version that went to marker was a newer and more advanced version of the headset they got. This also in turn lead to the development of a new type of kickstarter site call Fig.

Now Fig is slightly different in that it offers two options as to how one can back a project. The projects they have on the site are relatively few, and it gives people the option to back as a regular kickstarter backer, but also provides the option to back as an investor. From what I have seen from the few Fig projects I have looked at and backed, to back as an investor one needs to back in the amount of $10000 USD. It lays out in detail what your investment will grant you and what returns you can expect based on returns from sales of the completed project (in my case video games that I have backed) . Now the one that I saw the $10000 investment was Wasteland 3, I am currently backing Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire and investment there works in the purchasing of shares at $1000 per share. To see the break down for their investment you can look here (https://www.fig.co/campaigns/deadfire/invest).

Now does this spell the end of the Oculus as Syberghosts title for this thread says, I would have to say no. The reason for this is this lawsuit will have little affect on the Oculus in the long run. The thing that may kill the Oculus is the cost of the headset and the cost of the machine required to run the headset effectively. The entry price point for VR is just too high for the average user. The other thing that may also affect this is the headset itself. People pissed and moaned about having to wear 3D glasses with a 3D TV and now they are saying give me the big padded helmet, this is so awesome is stupid on too many levels to count. Also there are a lot of complaints about the headsets being to bulky and uncomfortable to wear for long periods of time too. Overall there is a market for VR, just too costly for one, too costly and risky for developers to develop games for (a number have been bankrupted because of it).

https://www.engadget.com/2013/02/11/journey-bankrupted-the-studio-next-game-to-be-multiplatform-ch/

Also a number of VR games for the PS4 have been canceled as well due to developmental costs and other issues too. Until there is a big break through in gaming or something in VR to grant this tech mass market appeal and gets people to purchase it, then VR is going to be a niche market for sometime. Hell the speculators were saying that there would be so many millions of people with VR by 2020, and at the end of 2016 with the PS4 VR coming out and out selling both the Rift and the HTC Vive combined VR adoption rates are extremely low. Even with the success of the PS4 VR, Sony still does not discuss it because it was not the commercial success they expected it to be even as one of the more affordable options out there. Steam sales for VR have greatly dropped for both Rift and Vive, and part of the issue in regards to this is their decisions to have separate VR stores and exclusive content to their devices. Right now VR to me is a niche gimmick, and until something changes in regard to this then VR just may die off once again.

In the end Oculus Rift is only on the hook for $300 (with is nothig to Facebook), and Palmer Luckey is required to pay $50 million and $150 million to be paid by Brendan Irbe who is the other co-founder of Oculus Rift and with probably each having an equal share of the $2 billion this is a small amount to them. Oculus will endure for now, just depends on future development and cost of VR will determine its survival.
  5. syberghost

The lawsuits aren't over yet. They're now suing to make Oculus stop selling their products at all. Of course they could start all over again and develop new "clean room" code; that would likely require developers who have never seen the old code.

If they manage to avoid that fate they might survive.
  6. RIP

RIP Veteran Member

7. Fell

They could also license the tech if the bad blood isn't so bad and the price is right. I have some experience with this - my insurance company sued Allstate for patent infringement and that's how we disposed of the case upon winning.

Licensing may push the headset cost to an unsustainable level though which Rift seems to have a problem with already (although costs generally always fall dramatically for new hardware products after demand rises and manufacturers ramp up production...)

I also think this hurts the demand curve for Rift though, there will be folks who won't touch it now out of fear/negative stigma...
  8. RIP

RIP Veteran Member

9. syberghost

PS4 VR is looking kind of iffy now; Sony has kind of stopped talking about it, and games are pulling out. However, that might just be seasonal budget crap, we'll have to see what happens in the next few months.
  10. Arcfire

Arcfire Guild Admin Staff Member

I guess that shows that once you are already past the $500 mark, the $200 premium is well worth the peace of mind to a lot of people. HTC and Valve seem rock solid by comparison, and would probably get my money if I were to buy in at some point.

Personally, I won't be on board until there is a well tested and natively integrated solution for both ten finger tracking and virtual keyboard. Mouse doesn't really matter since it is all relative positioning, but being able to use your keyboard in virtual space without having to peek out of the goggles or use some sort of pass-though camera trick is sort of the make or break for me.

Also, peripheral vision is kind of a big deal, and I have to worry constantly about motion sickness when it comes to first person games.
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2017
  11. RIP

RIP Veteran Member

Yeah, Vive is one of the few that is close to achieving all that. As for the Sony VR, even on the PS4 Pro there are still a lot of issues regarding frame issues with VR and with a lot of their games as well. Some are thinking PS4 VR is the next Kinnect, yet Nintendo has announced that they are looking into VR and so is Microsoft for the Xbox One as well. Nintendo's big concern with VR is the inability to play for long duration's without some adverse physical affects on the player and comfort as well. The next two years will be telling for VR and its survival, till then it is a wait and see kind of situation.
  12. syberghost

Since I have astigmatism, it's all moot to me; until they get the tech to bypass the eye and go directly to the optic nerve or visual cortex, I can't participate.

So I'll amuse myself with schadenfreude toward the stumbling first steps of the technical toddlers. Toddlers are stupid.
  13. Allomein

Allomein AoA Emeritus

Syber why is that? Don't they work over our glasses?
  14. syberghost

They work over glasses, but between my astigmatism and needing progressive lenses, I can't see half the damn screens properly. Just makes me ill.

This, obviously, is Fell's fault.
    Rhyus likes this.
  15. Fell

Whoa, I'm now spiritual heir to @Ragter 's infamies?
    --- Double Post Merged, Feb 6, 2017, Original Post Date: Feb 6, 2017 ---
    Oh and I wear progressives too, I didn't even think about how that would work. will I have to buy a single vision lens just for gaming in VR?
  16. Allomein

Allomein AoA Emeritus

I'll be upgrading my PC soon and will have a GTX 1080 when I do and then plan to get the HTC Vive. Rumor has it a VIVE 2.0 may be out soon, so hopefully timing works out otherwise I may wait for the 2.0 to be released. Really hope I can play comfortably with it over my glasses - would be awesome for Elite Dangerous.
    syberghost likes this.
  17. syberghost

Speaking of Vive, Fat Kid Deals just flagged this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-lis...03-20&linkId=463ede8c89b0273fbd51cee06cce456b
  18. Arcfire

Arcfire Guild Admin Staff Member

Looks like you guys aren't the only ones that might have some trouble playing in glasses eh? Lucky for me I'm just near sighted so I wouldn't even have to wear them.
  19. RIP

RIP Veteran Member

It appears that Best Buy is pulling its Oculus stations in all their stores due to lack of consumer interest.
  20. HittingSmoke

HittingSmoke AoA Emeritus

I don't think one even made it to my store. They have a Samsung VR thing.