News SC AoA: 40 Members Strong!

Discussion in 'Star Citizen' started by Fell, Apr 16, 2015.

News SC AoA: 40 Members Strong!

Discussion in 'Star Citizen' started by Fell, Apr 16, 2015.

1. Fell

Fell Guild Admin Staff Member

13482156_ss.jpg Our official Star Citizen Organization has hit 40 members. Although we hoped to be slightly larger than this at this point, our original targets anticipated the FPS and Social modules dropping earlier than they have. Net, we're doing well: most of our recruits are from within AoA or are AoA referrals so word of mouth is helping us. As we get closer to launch we'll ramp up recruiting activity even more, but for now everyone who joins before launch and participates in the AoA community at large will have shareholder status (voting rights) within the AoA org.

To many more milestones!
    stat, Cirsphe, Rhyus and 2 others like this.
  2. Deviantyoda

Deviantyoda Veteran Member

I have seen so much on this game, I have also seen how much it costs out of pocket post game purchase to have a decent ship...not sure if this is the game for me. I just cannot get behind a game that got such overwhelming support from it's fanbase to become a reality and then attempts to make exorbitant profits from those same people upon release. 200+ dollars for a damn ship, might as well be a digital kick in the nuts. Perhaps I am wrong so if I am please set me straight.
    syberghost likes this.
  3. Fell

I do think perhaps you've gotten things somewhat twisted up though i can see how that perception would be out there.

The dollars invested in the game, yes even those for $350 ships, are being used to fund the game. CIG is not following a traditional publisher budgeted model, they're relying on fans to build the game. The ship "purchases" are nothing more than a vehicle for CIG to collect funds and the $77M+ they have collected should be compared to the development budget for any other traditionally funded game. It looks like a grab for money the way it's set up, but the ships are really just a in-game reward for investing $ to see the game built.

Is it P2W? no. I would say 98%+ of what backers have received in investor rewards will be obtainable in game with a little blood, sweat and tears. It may look like a money grab if you ignore the nuances I mention. I personally don't think it's a completely fair criticism.

Last point i want to make on this, AoA has enough "whale" backers that you never have to worry about spending real money to enjoy this game, beyond the basic price of entry. I can't possibly man all of my ships and there are many others in this position to some degree. I say if the game, outside of the funding hangup you seem to have, appeals to you, then you should just spend your $35 bucks or so on an entry ship and fly with your AoA brethren who would be more than happy to see their personal fleets being used to benefit AoA as a whole.
    Morgis, Cirsphe, Rhyus and 1 other person like this.
  4. AndyCapp

AndyCapp Veteran Member

Well said! I can't wait to "borrow" an awesome fighter for my security missions, for the good of the guild of course! As the 40th man I endorse this message ;-)
    Fell and Cirsphe like this.
  5. Signal Warden

Signal Warden Officer

To put the whole thing bluntly, every single one of those ships can be obtained free on release of the game. I can echo most of what Fellblade said.

When you get a game package right now you are choosing your ship. On release though you buy the game and will have access to one of the starters (currently two probably three on release). You then earn credits to purchase other ships, or steal or salvage other ships.

The two starters are the Aurora and the Mustang. Right now the game packages for them are both $45 and it comes with access to the dogfighting module and the full game on release. The dogfighting game (Arena Commander) now has rental credits you earn by playing multiplayer so you can rent and try everything that's available.
    Fell and stat like this.
  6. Cirsphe

Cirsphe Veteran Member

Just to add to what was said above. The avg. pledge per backer is currently in the $95 range. Something ridiculous like 50% of the player population has only purchased the starter aurora ship and nothing else for $45 (used to be $25, but slowly upping the price as we get closer to launch). One thing to note is that $45 pledge also gets you a 20 hour 70 mission single player game releasing at the end of this year. That alone should be worth that money.

The gaming press has also been writing articles that are completely skewed and make it look like a price grab or P2W or some other nonsense. That $200 ship can be gotten in game with a week's worth of playtime (not mentioned if that is 7 days of play time or 7 days of playing like 4 hours a day).
    stat and Fell like this.
  7. Arcfire

Arcfire Guild Admin Staff Member

I know that from the outside it may look like CIG is trying to sell you a song and a promise for hundreds of dollars (and games media isn't helping that perception much), but that really isn't the case. What they are asking for is donations to help fund development of the game. They have no outside investors. It is 100% player funded. Even the $79 million they have managed to raise so far is a little over half of what most investor-funded AAA titles have to work with these days. (Note the budget entry here: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3947868/)

So, if you like what you see, feel free to donate. If you are still unsure, don't feel any pressure to buy anything until the game is released.

In return for your donation, and based on the size of said donation, they give you various backer rewards. In the end, it works out just like any other funding/donation system: kickstarter, patreon, humble bundle, etc. By pledging earlier, and by pledging more, you help development more than if you were to pledge less or later, and the backer rewards scale to reflect this.

What do you currently get in a $45 starter package?
    A starter Ship - $20 value, you need at least one ship to play any alpha mode currently available
    3 months of in game insurance - $??, maybe worth a couple bucks
    Star Citezen digital download - aka persistent universe access upon release
    Starter Hangar - freebie
    Digital Manual - freebie

Beta Slot - freebie
    Arena Commander pass - $5 value
    1,000 UEC - $1 value
    Squadron 42 digital dowload - the first single player campaign

FPS module will probably cost another $5, which goes towards hardware costs to spin up more servers to serve higher persistent player counts. Right now, if you want access to everything you can get access to, it'll probably cost you $50.

Note: If you are wondering what the difference is between an Alpha and Beta slot, look here: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/faq/alpha-slots

So in the end, factoring out the bonus credits, the insurance, the module passes, the beta access, the various freebies, and the ship, You are basically getting access to not one, but two AAA tier games (single player campaign and online universe) for about $20.

If that isn't value, I don't know what is.
    stat, AndyCapp and Fell like this.
  8. Deviantyoda

Deviantyoda Veteran Member

Well it's been a while since I ventured or destroyed anything with you great folks so I will grab this up and at the very least give it a go.
    Cirsphe, stat and Fell like this.
  9. Fell

that's the spirit! Don't spend too much, seriously, we have more ships available than we can use if you're patient enough to wait til launch
    AndyCapp likes this.
  10. Fell

one more thing don't forget after you pledge to join our sc org on the rsi site. Search for org ID AoA.
    syberghost likes this.
  11. Austok

Austok Division Leader

Woot!, grats on 40!