Server updates, testing, and feedback

Discussion in 'Guild News' started by HittingSmoke, Jul 7, 2014.

Server updates, testing, and feedback

Discussion in 'Guild News' started by HittingSmoke, Jul 7, 2014.

1. HittingSmoke

HittingSmoke AoA Emeritus

The new server software is up and serving our web site. The deployment went off without a hitch except for me forgetting to disable the old cache at the forum software level which caused a couple hours of hard downtime.

So far I can't find any breakages. The average page load times have only jumped by about 30ms which could be attributed to rebuilding the PHP opcache and no longer caching user data. They should come back down over time as the whole site is once again cached. I may or may not re-implement the user session caching depending on performance metrics over time.

There are going to be a lot of server restarts in the near future which may impact performance. The site shouldn't go down but each restart clears the cache and can cause delays if you were attempting to load the site while the workers are reloading. It's also possible you may be spontaneously logged out. That's just your session data getting lost during config changes and restarts.

All that said, we're (earlier than anticipated) at a point where I can't find anything broken so feel free to make me aware of any issues or pages that won't load. As far as I can tell everything is working as intended and I'd like to get some stability feedback from users before I truck on with the new features that are to be switched on with the new server software.

Leave any issues in this thread along with the URL and exact time (with timezone) that they happened.

Stay tuned for upcoming new feature announcements.
  2. HittingSmoke

The issue that was causing 404 then 500 errors for some people on some URLs should be solved.

Let me know of any 500 errors you get and the URL/time you get them at. Note that this does not mean PM Omnifox on Steam. This means post them here, PM me here or on Hangouts, or email me.
    syberghost likes this.
  3. Rhyus

Rhyus Veteran Member

I'm getting a 502 Bad Gateway message when I click on "Mark Forums Read" button. Doesn't matter which forum I'm in, it has given it to me in every location I've tried, including this page.
  4. HittingSmoke

Try again.
  5. Rhyus

Rhyus Veteran Member

It seems to be working now.