Smoke's bar and grill

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by HittingSmoke, Apr 10, 2017.

Smoke's bar and grill

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by HittingSmoke, Apr 10, 2017.

1. HittingSmoke

HittingSmoke AoA Emeritus

Wife got a rabbit connection. This cute little woodland creature is now basking in hickory smoke and getting mopped with a mustard and vinegar sauce.

[​IMG]
    Rhyus and syberghost like this.
  2. syberghost

syberghost Guild Admin Staff Member

Shoulda hopped faster, Fiver.
    Rhyus and HittingSmoke like this.
  3. Arcfire

Arcfire Guild Admin Staff Member

I like watching this guy on occasion:
  4. HittingSmoke

If I can handle those awful tattoos and rings for long, I think I will too. Looks interesting.
  5. Arcfire

Dude clearly has an interesting past, but seems both reformed and quite knowledgeable. All I can say is he knows how to cut and package dead meat...
  6. HittingSmoke

Something about grown men with skull rings bothers me way more than it should.
  7. HittingSmoke

My sashimi appetite greatly eclipses my sashimi budget. So I took matters into my own hands:

[​IMG]

This is my second batch of homemade nigiri. Not as good as the first because I tried thawing it overnight in the fridge. It was much better when I thawed it at room temp, watching carefully to use it the moment it was ready. I think part of the problem thawing in the fridge is thawing it in a bag lets it develop a fish funk too fast and the fridge is too dry to thaw it in open air. I need a meat drying chamber that I can control the humidity in.
    Rhyus likes this.
  8. Omnifox

Omnifox Cylon - Toaster Model Staff Member

Don't we all?
    HittingSmoke likes this.
  9. HittingSmoke

Gentlemen,

[​IMG]
    Rhyus and syberghost like this.
  10. Arcfire

While it is cooling I figured I should try out the camera on my new Tab S3. This is attempt #2. Attempt #1 was too bland, due to not letting the smaller veggies sit in the skillet long enough before throwing in the pot. This time around, fucking amazing.

A fitting inaugural picture if ever I saw one:
    [​IMG]
    HittingSmoke and Rhyus like this.
  11. HittingSmoke

That's just the right amount of oil slick on top for a proper beef stew. Love it. I hate when people make stew from extra lean meat or try to get every little drop of fat out.
  12. HittingSmoke

I finally bought a needle tenderizer. Been putting it off for a long time since it's really only good for one dish I like, but it's essential for that dish. Chicken fried steak:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    stat, Fell and syberghost like this.
  13. HittingSmoke

Meat candy prep:

[​IMG]
  14. Fell

Fell Guild Admin Staff Member

Never seen meat prepared that way except that it reminds me of chunks for a stew. Suspect I’m way off- what is it?
  15. HittingSmoke

It's called burnt ends. It's usually cut up ends of spare ribs or a brisket point sauced and cooked until they're crispy. I just bought a but of brisket, cut it up, and smoked it.
  16. Fell

Oh i've had burnt ends, i'm so jealous. We have a BBQ joint next to the new Sac Kings (basketball) arena i try to get in there before the game to get their meat combo plate, the burnt ends are fantastic. Now i'm gonna ask about your smoker - what do you use? i'm thinking on getting one. Around here the popular choice seems to be the Traeager(sp?) pellet smokers, that seems like cheating to me? I wonder if they sacrifice flavor for convenience...
  17. Arcfire

I once ate at a guy's house who showed me the control circuit "upgrade" he bought for his pellet smoker. Thing cost like $400... I mean the results were damn tasty, but I dunno if i would call them $400 tasty...
  18. HittingSmoke

There's really no cheating about it. You're putting real wood in them and they're stupid-easy to use. I just like using whole lumps of wood. It's more pointless elitism than anything that impacts the quality of the final product. You do have to learn a lot more to smoke over an actual wood fire though.

Personally I use a big 22" Weber Performer. I used to use an offset smoker but it was leaky and annoying to hold temp on. I'm going to get my welder friend to fabricate me a reverse-flow offset smoker this summer. Oklahoma Joe makes probably the most reasonable and respectable offset smokers. If you want a nice smoker, I would go with one of those. The most important part is the steel thickness and the tolerances to get it to seal up well.

If you want to keep it "legit" on a budget, Brinkmann bullet smokers regularly go on sale for <$100. They're not very good out of the box but with some high temp silicone you can seal them up pretty well.
  19. Fell

Good stuff, thanks. If end product quality is the same I’d likely lean towards convenience of the traeger, but I’m probably talking triple the cost or more so theres that...
  20. syberghost

syberghost Guild Admin Staff Member

Oklahoma Joe's also operates a number of restaurants, most of them located near me. It's good stuff.