Smoke's bar and grill

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by HittingSmoke, Apr 10, 2017.

Smoke's bar and grill

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by HittingSmoke, Apr 10, 2017.

1. HittingSmoke

HittingSmoke AoA Emeritus

Flanken rib protip: Never buy them in the package from the meat department. Always ask for fresh cut. Specifying a thickness will give you a good reason since they're usually cut very thin. When they're packaging them they stuff shitty ribs with hardly any meat hidden behind nice wide cuts. When you ask for a fresh cut the butcher is going to be much more inclined to give you nice, big, uniform sections of beef so you don't complain.

[​IMG]
    Rhyus, ALACE and Fell like this.
  2. HittingSmoke

I really love cowboy rubs (common sold by heathens labeled as "steak rub") on beef roasts but the ones sold in stores are often overly salty and not that great. So I designed my own cowboy rub recipe.

• Chili powder made from fresh-ground chilis and toasted cumin courtesy of Alton Brown
    • Dried, minced garlic
    • Coffee grounds
    • Dried, minced onion
    • Cracked black pepper
    • Toasted, fresh-ground coriander
    • Fresh-ground black mustard seed
    • Unsweetened cocoa powder
    • Cayenne pepper
    • Fresh-ground cloves
    • Fresh-ground cinnamon
    The homemade chili powder is critical. I also use it in my taco seasoning. It's got so much more flavor than the bland bullshit that you get from a grocery store. It's a lot of work to make, but totally worth it. Just make it in big batches in a food processor.

The first run of the rub turned out great on a test cook with short ribs. It's only suitable for long cooks as the large chunks of peppercorns and coffee beans need to soften up and absorb fat or it's like eating sand. When cooked fully it comes out as a crispy crust like deep fried bread crumbs. A great byproduct of this rub is the best beef drippings you'll ever taste. Put in on a roast over a drip pan or in the slow cooker and it creates concentrated au jus that's amazing for french dips.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Fell likes this.
  3. Fell

Fell Guild Admin Staff Member

Damn that looks good. I've been experimenting with Beef ribs and dry rubs with mostly "over the counter" dry ingredients, some are pretty complicated. It's tasty but likely not as rich as what's in that pic. Also, beef ribs are so inconvenient to eat...big bones little meaty morsels
    HittingSmoke likes this.
  4. HittingSmoke

Beef back ribs from a grocery store are a ripoff. The problem is, back ribs are right up against the ribeye, one of the most valuable cuts of beef. So when they cut boneless ribeyes, they get as much meat off the ribs as possible to maximize the size of the steaks. When you buy beef back ribs, you're basically getting scraps from boneless steaks.

There are several options:

1. Buy a whole bone-in rib primal and cut it up yourself. You can get them at Costco. It's going to cost you at least around $150. More if you opt for USDA prime. Then you can trim off the ribs leaving as much meat as you like, and you'll have delicious ribeye steaks or roasts left over for a fraction of what you'd pay per pound if you bought them individually. This is what I do because it's economical and I have two good sources for beef primals.
    2. Go to a real butcher and ask for a cut of back ribs with plenty of meat left behind. You're going to pay a premium because they're giving up valuable meat that could be sold as ribeye, but you don't have to cut the thing up yourself.
    3. Combine 1 and 2. Go to a butcher and ask for a rib primal custom cut. Ask for plenty of meat to be left on the ribs, with whatever combination of roast and/or steaks you want made from the rest. This way there's little waste and you get a pile of meat at a discount price because you're buying a whole primal. Just throw what you can't eat immediately in the freezer and you have several weeks (or days, in my case) of high quality beef to eat.
    4. Buy plate ribs instead. This is where short ribs come from (pictured above) and they have a ton of meat with minimal bone because they're much lower on the ribcage than back ribs. Most short ribs sold in stores are the really small 2" shorties like you see above but you can order them cut much longer, up to over 6". They're much more per pound than back ribs but you're paying for mostly meat instead of mostly bone.
    4 is obviously the easiest and plate ribs are delicious and meaty. The best chilis and beef stews are made from braised plate ribs.
    ALACE and Fell like this.
  5. Fell

Awesome tips and I love beef ribs. sounds like 3 or 4 will work for me,
    HittingSmoke likes this.
  6. HittingSmoke

If you've never tried it, braise short ribs in tomato sauce and herbs for a stew or chili. Coat them lightly in flour, sear in hot oil on all sides, then put them in a dutch oven barely covered in tomato sauce and herbs for around three hours or so. Let them chill overnight in the fridge then cut the meat off the bones. You can also take this opportunity to remove any excess fat if you have hangups about that. The meat should still feel pretty tough. Use the sauce they cooked in as a base for a chili or stew and add back in the meat. This will kick the shit out of any stew or chili made with "Beef stew meat" you buy in the grocery store consisting of the cheapest garbage at the bottom of the cow.
    Fell likes this.
  7. HittingSmoke

[​IMG]
    Fell likes this.
  8. HittingSmoke

Been on a bit of a cooking binge lately. I was so into eating this that I didn't get a photo. This is the wife's not-so-well-lit picture.

[​IMG]

Halibut, lightly seasoned and pan seared. Steelhead, panko lemon pepper seasoned and pan seared. Broccolini and asparagus. I also did smoked salmon but it didn't turn out fantastically. It was way too lean.

That halibut was amazing.
    Fell likes this.
  9. Fell

I need to clear more time for cooking, that's awesome!
  10. HittingSmoke

I got super lucky. Was at a market and there was halibut for only $19/lb. It's usually $25+ so I was suspicious of the freshness. Took a risk on it and it turned out to be very fresh.
  11. Fell

I'm in Sacramento, too far from the ocean or any major rivers to feel unduly confident in the available seafood. We have one supposedly great fish market in the area (I spent 15 years in San Fran, so my seafood standards tend to run high) but it's in a somewhat inconvenient spot and I haven't tried it yet. Inspiration...
  12. HittingSmoke

Having higher standards for your fresh fish just means you know the difference. That puts you ahead of 99% of people in seafood knowledge. Most people I've met who say they don't like seafood associate seafood with the smell of old fish.

I've never done it, but I hear there are websites that ship very fresh frozen fish (no that's not an oxymoron) packed in dry ice. If you can't get good fish at a local market, that's toyo best bet.
  13. Fell

I’ve bought smoked fish mail order, not fresh. Might have to try sometime. There was a time where barbecue to me was buying about 2 lbs of fresh tuna or salmon or both and slicing off nice sashimi pieces with a cold lager. That’s how much I trusted my old fishmonger. Life’s too short for bad seafood haha
    HittingSmoke likes this.