Smoke's bar and grill

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by HittingSmoke, Apr 10, 2017.

Smoke's bar and grill

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by HittingSmoke, Apr 10, 2017.

1. HittingSmoke

HittingSmoke AoA Emeritus

That's fresh out of a Himalayan salt cure. After this the big salt granules were scraped off and it was soaked in cider vinegar, then some were coated with traditional toasted coriander and black pepper while I tested some with black mustard seed and minced garlic. Traditionally they're done with rock salt and I had Himalayan salt which is closer to rock than Kosher so I used that.

The apple cider vinegar actually made the finally product too sweet for my taste. It was tangy and good, but that apple flavor was way more pronounced than I've ever had from using cider vinegar on anything. I think next time I'll try malt vinegar. If I can't find any malt vinegar made from a good, strong beer then I might have to make my own. I hear it's pretty easy, just takes forever.
  2. Fell

Fell Guild Admin Staff Member

I’m not worthy to tie your apron...
    HittingSmoke likes this.
  3. HittingSmoke

HittingSmoke AoA Emeritus

lol this is actually a pretty tame recipe prep-wise. The Himalayan salt sounds way more fancy than it is. People market it as some bullshit hippy holistic medicine but it's just flavorful rock salt with a bunch of impurities. Same reason well water tastes so good. Lots of minerals. You can find it for really cheap in stores with bulk bins.

From what I've read you can start a real (beer-based) malt vinegar by mixing some unfiltered vinegar with beer. It becomes perpetual like sourdough starter so you just keep feeding it beer and it continues to ferment. This is actually new news to me and I'm stoked to try it.

Next go around is going to be with brisket and a malt vinegar. Going to experiment with a few different rubs.