[Speculation] Is the Carrack going to be a large ship?

Discussion in 'Star Citizen' started by Cirsphe, Sep 4, 2014.

[Speculation] Is the Carrack going to be a large ship?

Discussion in 'Star Citizen' started by Cirsphe, Sep 4, 2014.

1. Cirsphe

Cirsphe Veteran Member

With the release of the Aquila connie variant and the latest reveal of the 890 Jump being the size of the original Idris, or simliar to the Banu and Hull C, I'm wondering if the Carrack also will be made to be a larger ship. The reason why I think this is currently all the specific explorer ships, they are all different class sizes and we currently don't have a Banu/Hull C class exploration ship. While I'd love to have the larger exploration ship, I'm not quite sure if my wallet would survive that. If it is going to be huge, I will imagine it like the Enterprise.

What do you guys think?
  2. stat

stat Division Leader

Did someone say Enterprise? I'm in.

But ya, I have a feeling it's going to be a larger ship myself. Just a feeling though.
  3. Fell

Fell Guild Admin Staff Member

i'm on this bandwagon too. if done right, that aquila will go in the dustbin. I'm really hoping for something massive with a serious medical bay, science lab, shuttle bay and all the trimmings. everything compact and efficient of course, i'm not talking about enterprise sized ships, just something with a little design flair oriented towards a small crew of explorers.
  4. stat

stat Division Leader

I'm actually looking to get another ship. D:

Depending on how big it is, the Carrack may be it.
  5. Fell

I'm salivating for the idris sale to come back. i want to make sure our guild has one at launch if possible. but it will be hard for me to pass on a Carrick if it's a good design. I didn't think i'd be into the explorer aspect of the PU, but the idea is starting to grow on me. this game is sooo beautiful (and we've really only seen the AC game space) i can just imagine enjoying a lot of scenery out there. which gives me an idea for another post, back in a sec...
  6. stat

stat Division Leader

Actually I just saw this tidbit on the Carrack. It's on the store page for it (it's unavailable.) I have absolutely no idea if it's accurate or not though.

According to that. it's Constellation size.
  7. Fell

yeah well they've changed things before. Also, i'd be fine with something connie length, but maybe more wide and with a more open floorplan (i sound like an interior decorator lol), something that makes it FEEL bigger but maybe equal mass. I don't think a bowling alley shape fits the quintessential image of an exploration ship (but damn the aquila cockpit is nice conceptually, they just need better execution as it doesn't live up to the commercial).
  8. Cadrys

Cadrys Officer

I'm definitely in the explorer camp. Lemme see the actual Carrack as shipping and I can decide between it and the Acquila
    Fell and stat like this.
  9. Arcfire

Arcfire Guild Admin Staff Member

Based on the fact that it is named the Carrack, I'm going to go out on a limb and say they will do everything in their power to make it the definition of an exploration vessel.

Even Star Trek's Enterprise only really had 4 "official" stations: science, tactical, navigation, engineering though they often had redundant consoles. Med bay sort of counts but doesn't really have a ship-specific function. So 4 crew stations kind of makes sense, but I have a feeling it is going to get bigger and end up with some extra stations.
  10. Fell

this is what i hope. and hey, maybe one of those automated medical diagnosis and surgery pods like they had in Prometheus(?? the aliens precursor movie) would suffice.
  11. Arcfire

I just hope they avoid making a mini-game out of it. That way lies madness. Throw in some buzz words like 'robotic enhancement', 'tissue generation' and 'quantum surgery' and leave the rest up to the magic of 930 years of medical advancement.
    stat and Fell like this.
  12. Cirsphe

Cirsphe Veteran Member

haha - you don't want a Surgeon Simulator in your Carrack to fix up teammates when you are in the void?

Btw, the 890 Jump is also listed as the same size as the connie, so I wouldn't hold your breath on the Carrack being the same size as the Connie.

Wonder if it will have a rover though. If it doesn't, you might want to hang onto your Aquila.
  13. sfPuck

sfPuck Veteran Member

*BZZZZZZZTTT!!* You hit my funny bone!
    stat likes this.
  14. Arcfire

I bet it will have a rover, a snub fighter, and a shuttle to boot.
  15. Signal Warden

Signal Warden Officer

Considering the potential size I'd rather it have a shuttle bay where I can put the single seater of my choice. Be nice to have the option of popping out in a 315 or an ES to explore a local asteroid belt or make the jump through a small jump point that the Carrack can't fit in.
    Fell and stat like this.
  16. Cadrys

Cadrys Officer

*This*.

Has there been any mention of Von Neumann tech in the SC 'verse? (self-replicating machines)
  17. Arcfire

Not to my knowledge, why?
  18. Cadrys

Cadrys Officer

Exploration via self-replicating probe (with a hard cap on # of copies. See "Slylandro" on why ignoring this is a bad idea)
    Fell likes this.
  19. Fell

where the f did you come up with that lore. interesting read, i'll never get that time back lol.
  20. Arcfire

Who knows if self-replication will pop up in one of the plot lines. I think introducing a mechanic that would exponentially accelerate content consumption is probably not high on CIG's to-do list, though.
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2014
    stat and Cirsphe like this.