Thoughts on the Merlin...

Discussion in 'Star Citizen' started by Arcfire, Jul 29, 2015.

Thoughts on the Merlin...

Discussion in 'Star Citizen' started by Arcfire, Jul 29, 2015.

1. Arcfire

Arcfire Guild Admin Staff Member

While the ship itself is nimble and beautiful, I have a few technical gripes that I hope they plan to address:

1) A single missile impact to the rear of the ship seems to knock everything offline permanently, even if the ship shows no signs of damage. It's like the power plant gets knocked offline and can't recover. Working as intended? Who knows.

2) Why can't you trade out the nose gun for other size 2 weapons? I want to throw a badger in there so I stop running out of ammo. You try to swap weapons on the holo table with the Merlin selected and the side scroll area magically filters out all size 2 weapons. It's like they hard coded some sort of workaround to specifically keep people from swapping it out... you can still pull it off, but there's no point since you can't select any other size 2 gun to replace it with.

3) Having the cockpit so far back on the hull effectively means the bottom half of your view is obscured. Sure, the targeting reticle still tracks stuff even if you can't see through the nose, but since the reticle is a static 2D shape, and the Merlin HUD only shows top down damage state views (rather than the rotating 3d wireframe), you have no idea what the enemy's orientation is and thus have no idea what angle you are shooting from, leading to much higher miss chance. Couple this with your limited nose gun ammo and it feels just... icky.

TL;DR, seems like a case of form over function at this point. Think I may wait and see how the Archimedes or Dragonfly turn out before making a final decision.
  2. Cirsphe

Cirsphe Veteran Member

They basically said that nose canon can't be replaced because the ship was designed that, so it is part of the internal structure.

You make a good point about the nose being so long. This will be a recurring problem for a lot of ships or manned turrets though.

I'm a little perturbed that they said that anyone with a merlin can CCU to the Archimedes because it was stated that it would only be available with the Phoenix. But whatever, need to just remember that nothing is unique or limited as much as they say it is when it goes up for sale. More props to other people being to pick it up though, and generating more funding for CIG.
  3. stat

stat Division Leader

Meh, it's a snub fighter that depends on other craft. I'd expect it to not be very good.
    Fell likes this.
  4. Arcfire

Arcfire Guild Admin Staff Member

I was fine with it needing a "garage ship" to ferry between systems, In fact I was hoping to use said garage ship to store all the extra components that would be needed to swap in and out to customize the Merlin for different situations. But if the only thing you can swap out are the size 1 weapons... kinda defeats the purpose in my eyes. I just hope the Archimedes doesn't end up the same way, otherwise I'll have to wait and see what weirdness they come up with for the Dragonfly. Drake is all about weird solutions and modularity, right?
  5. Cirsphe

Cirsphe Veteran Member

While you can't swap out the main canon, I'd be surprise if you couldn't swap out engines and shields. They even mentioned that the merlin doesn't come completely specced out, meaning there is room for upgrades.