UPS recommendations?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Arcfire, Mar 28, 2016.

UPS recommendations?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Arcfire, Mar 28, 2016.

1. Arcfire

Arcfire Guild Admin Staff Member

I'm fed up with power bumps at home. Looking at one of these: http://www.amazon.com/CyberPower-CP1500AVRLCD-Intelligent-1500VA-Mini-Tower/dp/B000FBK3QK

I've seen enough dead APCs laying around at work to warn me off, so has anyone had a bad experience with CP? I'm not going crazy running a server or anything, just protecting ole Betsy from the damn varmits that like to nibble on transformers around here. Any particular specs I need to be on the lookout for?
  2. syberghost

syberghost Guild Admin Staff Member

UPS is terrible, use FedEx.

I pretty much only use APC. Batteries die; they didn't invent Lead Acid. You will have to replace batteries in whatever you buy. Amazon has deals, and it's hard to screw up a Lead Acid battery.

That said, I had a previous model of that Cyber Power, and it worked great too.
  3. HittingSmoke

HittingSmoke AoA Emeritus

4. syberghost

syberghost Guild Admin Staff Member

That is basically what pro data centers do, including ours.

Our battery room has only caught fire and caused a building evacuation once in 18 years.
    Omnifox likes this.
  5. Arcfire

Arcfire Guild Admin Staff Member

Yeah I suppose most of the bad units I see around here have just been mistreated/neglected, but I've also seen some gnarly shit to go with it. We had a server backup fail a couple months back... went to investigate the tray, and it was like Alien vs. Predator happened in there.
  6. HittingSmoke

HittingSmoke AoA Emeritus

I've seen what happens to car batteries when they go tits up. I am fucking terrified of car batteries.
  7. Fell

Fell Guild Admin Staff Member

I've only had APCs myself, including one of their rack mount units I left behind in my divorce. Never had any trouble with it.