Welcome to XenForo!

Discussion in 'Guild News' started by HittingSmoke, Nov 29, 2013.

Welcome to XenForo!

Discussion in 'Guild News' started by HittingSmoke, Nov 29, 2013.

1. HittingSmoke

HittingSmoke AoA Emeritus

All old Youtube embeds should now be translated to fresh BBCode.
    Probably something you didn't read several pages back. I'm going to tweak the unread post title style to stand out a bit more but it's low priority. I've got a bunch of old BBCodes to fix and it's an extremely dangerous process so I'm taking it really slow. Using regular expressions on a database is bad business and if I fuck it up we have to start all over lol.
  2. HittingSmoke

Also, you may or may not have noticed the new Status Updates feature. It's like Twitter, but at least 76% less obnoxious. You can update your status from your profile or from the front page sidebar. I may add this to the forum sidebar as well later on after things have settled down. It's a good way to let people know you'll be away or what you're playing. The most recent status updates are listed on the home page above the update box.
  3. HittingSmoke

(Sorry for the spam. Trying to keep each update in its own post.)

All previous Youtube embeds are now translated including ones left over from phpBB which were never fixed. I'm going to set up a broken BBCode report form soon so people can direct me to post with broken BBCode which needs to be fixed.

EDIT: And Vimeo
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2013
  4. Ballzz

Ballzz Veteran Member

Yeah, not a big deal. Keep up the good work!
  5. Arcfire

Arcfire Guild Admin Staff Member

I'm noticing some odd behavior that might be related to the dynamic page loading...
    background_load_tiling.png
    When I load a new thread page and scroll to the bottom really fast (trackpad, two finger scrolling) the asset loading seems to have a hard time keeping up. Not sure if this is a client side thing that can't be helped (may notebook is a tad wimpy) or if it is perhaps related to page load algorithm lagging behind?

Is there maybe a setting for how much of the page gets buffered? If so, might need to dial it up a couple notches.

Edit: more info. It is happening in more than just the video thread (where i first noticed it) and continues even after sitting on the same page for a few minutes.
  6. HittingSmoke

I can't reproduce this. You say it's happening after several minutes? The screen just continues to look like the screenshot indefinitely? Does the browser report that the page is still loading? What domain does it say it is loading info from?

I don't actually have the lazy load module enabled at the moment which is the thing that controls the dynamic loading of images when they approach the viewport. I plan to get this stuff up and running during the optimization phase after I get functionality to 100%. This wouldn't affect video embeds anyway so I'm inclined to say it's a client side issue with the browser and/or a load-stop issue (which is where an element in the page that's slow to load keeps the rest of the page from continuing to load concurrently).

Since you're using Chrome can you do me a favor and completely clear your cache. After your cache is clear (don't load any pages on the web site between these steps), press F12 to open up the developer options, click the Network tab, then load one of the threads that's showing the issue. After the page is loaded right click and select "Copy as HAR" and PM it to me wrapped in a code tag [CODE]shit goes here[/CODE]
  7. Rhyus

Rhyus Veteran Member

Yea, I found that, but it isn't as versatile as the old one. I could be on the main forum page and since I'm not in Final Fantasy or the Rift guild, I could just mark all those read from the forum home page. Now, with the current setup, I have to to physically go into those forums to make them as read, which, for those forums, is two extra steps. Is there a way to bring that old function back with this new board?
  8. Arcfire

I am pretty strung out on cold medicine atm so I don't think I explained the issue clearly. I will investigate and get back to you when I am less brain dead.
  9. Awlbiste

Awlbiste Veteran Member

This used to happen to me all the time on the old forum in the video thread. Actually when my internet was being exceptionally shitty it would happen anywhere any page had 2+ youtube videos embedded. I'm inclined to say, based on this, it's not a uniquely xenforo issue.
  10. HittingSmoke

In case anyone still isn't completely aware since I've seen it mentioned several times so far, we did indeed open up the forums a lot more. All divisions are be default public. This may not always be the case in the event of a game where a lead decides they need it to be private for the purposes of competitive PvP or the like.

I moved the Random Video and Random Image thread out into the public as that's where they started many years ago.
  11. HittingSmoke

You can check out a list of our new BBCodes here. You can see some of them aren't properly styled yet. Most of them are for prettier articles and interactive content so they'll mostly be used by admins and leads. I'll be fixing these up and possibly re-adding some vB tags once we're at 100%. Fixing non-critical styles is low priority at the moment.
  12. HittingSmoke

I've enabled something called image lazy loading. You might notice when you scroll that images are constantly starting to load just when they get in view. This is so that when a thread with three dozen images is loaded it doesn't try to pull them all from the server at once. This way if you're looking for a different page on the thread or not scrolling all the way to the bottom it doesn't used unneeded server resources and saves you bandwidth as well.
  13. Ballzz

Ballzz Veteran Member

Just started getting an authentication error popup on the site. I'm still logged in but every time I try to navigate to a new page I get this popup:

I have tried clearing the cache and it doesn't accept my username/password for the site. Not sure what is up.
  14. HittingSmoke

Oops. That should be fixed now.
  15. pixiegemma

pixiegemma Veteran Member

Congrats Smoke, its looking really good :)
  16. HittingSmoke

Thanks, and same to everyone else's appreciative words.

Here's some fun data for everyone:

[FLOAT=left] upload_2013-12-1_21-19-7.png [/FLOAT]

I don't have any of the data from vB on hand but I monitored it quite a bit and I was always extremely disappointed with page load times. Often in the high single digits to low double digits. Many didn't notice because I tried to keep pages configured so that no one element would stop the rest of the page from loading some often times you'd be using the site while the page was still loading poorly optimized crap in the background.

Now we're 100% in the sub-second range, save for the registration page which is ever so slightly slow by design to combat spam bots providing the added convenience of not requiring CAPTCHA. This image is a screenshot of the average page load times for various sections of the site. These are averaged across users and threads mainly.

The great part is I'm still not finished with the server optimizations. I'm rolling them out slowly and this data is the average from today's page loads. Once I'm finished these numbers will be even further improved.

[CLEAR][/CLEAR]
    syberghost likes this.
  17. Ballzz

Ballzz Veteran Member

Smoke, I know you are busy with high priority tasks but I have one that is more important. A new favicon for the site so that hideous vbulletin favicon goes away! I'm super cereal.
  18. HittingSmoke

Uhg, I know. That's been bugging the shit out of me. I hated the old one almost as much though. I want to make a new one with proper transparency but I'm not good with low res vector images. I was hoping coj would pop up soon to help out with that but I think he's been busy with holiday stuff.

I'll see what I can do tomorrow. There's actually a feature that shows your new alerts in the favicon (just like gmail) which is broken until we get a proper one uploaded so I definitely want to get that fixed.
  19. Arcfire

I might be able to help with the favicon if Coj is MIA. As for my scrolling issue, it is still happening. I was on the road most of the day so I am going to do some experiments tomorrow when I have downtime at work.
    HittingSmoke likes this.
  20. HittingSmoke

Thanks. I'm going to install InkScape and see what I can come up with. I'll more than likely be deferring to you though as I don't know how2vector. I can easily make us an icon but it will look like ass once it's shrunk to facivon size.