Welcome to XenForo!

Discussion in 'Guild News' started by HittingSmoke, Nov 29, 2013.

Welcome to XenForo!

Discussion in 'Guild News' started by HittingSmoke, Nov 29, 2013.

1. Arcfire

Arcfire Guild Admin Staff Member

So, to address the scrolling issue, and hopefully better explain it: When scrolling up or down a page very quickly, the page seems to experience tearing, where blocks of the page seem unable to render fast enough to catch up with the scroll speed. I can see chunks of checkerboard transparency for split seconds at the top or bottom edges of the page before they fill in. It is pretty jarring in a dark room, and not particularly pretty.

So far I have been able to reproduce the scrolling issue to a lesser degree on my work machine, which would seem to eliminate hardware from the equation. It also does not happen if I grab the side scroll bar and zip it up and down as fast as possible. Only the scroll wheel or track pad seems to set it off, and only at high scroll speeds. I cannot reproduce it in Firefox, only Chrome, as Firefox seems to have an upper limit on scroll speed that is less than that of Chrome.

What else can I try to get to the bottom of this?

Update: the issue does not happen on other sites. I even tried a couple other XenForo demo sites without seeing it. If you can remind me what the name of the theme we are using is I can go try to hunt one of those down for further testing.
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2013
  2. Awlbiste

Awlbiste Veteran Member

Untitled-1.png
    Looks like this? It's not an issue specific to either Xenforo, us, or this theme. It used to happen to me all the time on our vb forums.
  3. HittingSmoke

HittingSmoke AoA Emeritus

Yep. That's all in the browser. That checkered pattern is where the web site isn't rendering. I'm not sure that's even possible to cause on the server end. If I were to make no or a transparent background the browser would default it to white, not transparent which is what the checkered pattern represents.

Since it's only happening in Chrome and Firefox doesn't have GPU acceleration I'm guessing that's the problem. Go to chrome://flags and disable "GPU composting on all pages". See if that clears up the issues.
    Arcfire likes this.
  4. Arcfire

That seems to have done the trick. I'll try it at home tonight to confirm.

I have a nice looking image going for the favicon using inkscape, but it doesn't look real great at anything below 64x64. What size are you after?
  5. Ballzz

Ballzz Veteran Member

I used to get that checkerboard issue while scrolling on the old site as well (and I use Chrome). i haven't seen it on this site.
  6. Rhyus

Rhyus Veteran Member

While navigating through the new forums, it seems that "General", "Divisions" and "Beer League", when clicked on at the top of bottom of a forum or a post will take you back the the Forums and not the specific section, like in the old VB forums. I'm talking about the "Home / Forums / General / Guild News /" navigation at top/bottom. This seems to work at any level of the forums.
  7. HittingSmoke

Those are anchored links. It takes you back to the home page and automatically scrolls to the section that you clicked. If you click this link: http://alloutassault.net/forums/#divisions.5 it should scroll you to the Divisions category right at the top. If your browser is slow (or not working correctly) and you scroll the page before the anchor is loaded then it can screw it up.
  8. Arcfire

I just dropped a folder of favicons into dropbox. Hope they do the trick.
  9. Fell

Fell Guild Admin Staff Member

I mentioned this in the preview for xenforo, still just a nitpicky concern for me that the forums page has a lot of vertical padding. I'm not used to having to scroll down to see the Divisions, so it's a noticeable change and the fact the division/officer stuff is moved up top isn't all of it, each section seems fatter than it used to be (vertically that is). Otherwise i'm loving the site so far and i keep finding little shortcuts that makes it seem that much more intuitive.
  10. HittingSmoke

Yeah, it's just one of the quirks with the theme we're using and most of the fat is in the subforum display. At first it was actually a little bit too busy so we had to space it out a bit. I'll tighten it back up a little bit after icons are in place.
  11. HittingSmoke

Everyone give @Arcfire a round of thanks for getting us a spiffy new favicon! Matching Apple touch/open graph icons coming shortly.
  12. ALACE

ALACE Veteran Member

Bug: Editing a post causes the Steam status box to blank out at least on the post that was edited until the page is refreshed.

Steam Render Bug.png
    --- Double Post Merged, Dec 2, 2013, Original Post Date: Dec 2, 2013 ---
    except it didn't just there when I clarified some grammar.

Looks like it only blanks out when an edited message is appended to the post.
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2013
  13. HittingSmoke

This is a limitation of the Steam integration addon and it's to be expected. When you submit a post and it appears without a page reload it's not rendered via the same code that the rest of the page is rendered with. It's injected via javascript and it's something the addon developer would have to address which may have been intentionally left out .

This all connects through a freely available Steam API. Each web site that uses it needs an API key and those API keys have a load limit. We have a certain amount of requests we're allowed to make over certain periods of time to prevent overloading to the Steam servers that are serving API requests. It's to stop abuse of their service for spam purposes, DDOS attacks, etc. So all Steam related resources on the site have to be kept within common sense limitation for calls back to the API. We've already set our Steam integration to the max API load possible through the addon so we may very well break this in a few days and have to dial it back a bit.

Regardless, I'll put in a request to the addon developer to see if he thinks it's something that can be fixed. I already have one pending request with him so it will have to wait until that is cleared up.
    --- Double Post Merged, Dec 2, 2013 ---
    Additionally, please report any avatar quality issues. We're using some compression techniques to optimize images served from our local host. Depending on the original file format and the calculated possible savings there could be lossless or lossy compression applied to images. This will probably take months to really fine tune for our specific purposes so any and all feedback is helpful in the long run.
  14. Arcfire

Just confirming that this worked on my home machines as well.
  15. pixiegemma

pixiegemma Veteran Member

Where did the recent posts feed go?
    --- Double Post Merged, Dec 3, 2013, Original Post Date: Dec 3, 2013 ---
    oh nevermind, just saw it come up. I'm guessing it has a time limit rather than showing the few latest threads
  16. HittingSmoke

There are two now.

Recent posts is here: http://alloutassault.net/find-new/posts and it lists all threads with unread posts.

Recent activity is here: http://alloutassault.net/recent-activity/ and it lists more info like changes to avatars and such.

There's no time limit that I'm aware of. It's a search function though. You can't just refresh the page because it submits a search for new posts and shows you a cached search result. You have to actually click the button again to update it.
  17. Diablocoj

Diablocoj AoA Emeritus

Sorry I am late to the party. A lot to catch up on still, but from talking with Arc in TS, it seems he made awesome images of all sizes and they're in the AoA Dropbox. He said he gave them too you already Smoke, so I say use those suckers.

As for the banner, I say we use the photo encompassing Arc's original GW2 logo idea. I still have the PSD documents with touch-ups. Here is the one i'm talking about for those who don't remember. Maybe we can usethis with text 'All Out Assault"
  18. HittingSmoke

@Arcfire did a kick-ass job on the favicon already which I've uploaded and is live. There are some more graphics that need to be tightened up a bit but the important shit is done.
  19. Rhyus

Rhyus Veteran Member

Is there a way to make the new posts stand out more? That little dot between the picture and the title of post is not easy to see when you are scrolling through looking for new posts. Is there a way to make the title of the post a different color than the old posts that doesn't have anything new in them? Maybe have the ones with new post colored like they are and the ones that don't have a new post be gray or some dull color?
    mynameismonkey and syberghost like this.
  20. HittingSmoke

We're working on that. They're bolded right now but there's an oddity with the way the CSS handles new posts. We had a dotted underline but it was very ugly as it spanned more than just the post title. I need to completely get rid of that little icon but I haven't had a terrible amount of time at the PC the past few days. Been doing Christmas shopping and dealing with two sick kids.