Welcome to XenForo!

Discussion in 'Guild News' started by HittingSmoke, Nov 29, 2013.

Welcome to XenForo!

Discussion in 'Guild News' started by HittingSmoke, Nov 29, 2013.

1. jeverian

jeverian Veteran Member

Not easy to tap that with my finger either. Maybe a bigger dot?
  2. Arcfire

Arcfire Guild Admin Staff Member

As far as I can tell, threads automatically jump to the most recent unread post anyway, so I think those little buttons are either toggled on by default or are just redundant for some reason.
  3. Rhyus

Rhyus Veteran Member

Ok, today I ended up doing something that could be considered a bug. I was actively in the Archive section. I was in the MMO Archive section, which had some unread messages in it. So, I scrolled through and saw it was not a game I wanted to deal with, so, I clicked on "Mark Forums Read", and not paying attention to what it said, I clicked "OK". Then, just as I was clicking the button, I realized what I was doing, but, too late, it already happened. I had marked all forums read, not just those in the MMO Archive section, but the entire forums from Chat, to MMOs to Beer League. This should not have happened when I am actively in a section, but ONLY when I am in the Forums.
  4. mynameismonkey

mynameismonkey AoA Admin Emeritus

Pretty sure you have to actively select "Mark All Forums Read" to do what you did, The default action is to mark THAT forum as read, you have to select a radio button to change the default.
    syberghost likes this.
  5. Allomein

Allomein AoA Emeritus

Just wanted to say I am loving XenForo and Hittingsmoke is awesomesauce. That is all.
    syberghost likes this.
  6. Rhyus

Rhyus Veteran Member

There was no other option than to mark all forums read, even though there was a topic in there that needed to be read.
  7. Awlbiste

Awlbiste Veteran Member

I know it's not going to be a priority or anything, but it would be nice to have some sort of indication as to which subforum a new post was in. For example, I currently see a new post (or posts, can't tell from the main forums page) in the MMO forum. But there's no way to tell which subforum that's in.
  8. mynameismonkey

mynameismonkey AoA Admin Emeritus

We had that, then we didn't. We soon will, again.
  9. syberghost

syberghost Guild Admin Staff Member

There is once you go into the MMO forum; then the subforum has an orange thing just like the forum did.
  10. Awlbiste

Awlbiste Veteran Member

That's not what I'm asking for at all.

Anyway, good to know, Monkey.
  11. HittingSmoke

HittingSmoke AoA Emeritus

What monkey said.

I'd added an unread icon. We worked on making unread post titles themselves more visible and there was a conflict, so it was removed. The unread post titles style had a bit of an issue so what was also removed. Technically the subforums should be bolded when there are new posts right now and I didn't realize until you said something that they're not...

Anyway, the unread notification style across the board is going to be revamped. That includes forum icons, subforums, and post titles. Might not happen until after Christmas though. I still have some things to do on the server side to make sure the site stays up even if I'm not around if/when it crashes.

It will be done though. I'm trying to learn Inkscape so I can make us some forum icons that are AoA-styled. When I add those I'll probably whip up a style for the unread forums and titles.
  12. Arcfire

Arcfire Guild Admin Staff Member

If you point me to some source material and give me some size parameters I could certainly help with Icons.

As far as unread posts, since the move to XF I have mostly been viewing the forums via the "new posts" option, which has a handy page break separating threads with unread posts from ones you have already seen, much in the way that you can set Gmail to filter all unread messages to the top of the page. It has been working well as a stop gap measure until we get some better styling up and going.
  13. HittingSmoke

HittingSmoke AoA Emeritus

Yep, that's how I view the forums as well so it's not so much of an issue on my end.

Source material I linked... somewhere. I'll find the thread and bump it with a tag to notify you. I pretty much want to keep the identical style that the current icons have (soft golden orange/grey with a black outline depending on un/read status) in the shape of the AoA icon. I think I have PSDs of the current icons.
  14. Ballzz

Ballzz Veteran Member

I have been doing the same thing with new posts section. Just go to that section and read the ones I want and then you can do the "mark all forums read" on the remaining ones that you don't care to read.
  15. Streakfury

Streakfury Veteran Member

Cor blimey wot wot!

It's been a while since I've been on the forums **hangs head in shame** but I'm liking the new look! I shall go forth and see what thy shalt see.
  16. Signal Warden

Signal Warden Officer

Hey SeƱor @HittingSmoke, now that the dust has settled some on this, is there any chance we'll be getting TapTalk functionality back?
  17. Ragter

Ragter AoA Emeritus

The reason why we didn't do taptalk was because it's not needed. This site works well with mobile devices. And. . . taptalk doesn't work out of the box with our forum set up.
  18. Signal Warden

Signal Warden Officer

Fair enough. I was only curious because I use taptalk for several other forums. I just wanted to consolidate. No big thing. Thanks.