Where'd your handle/nickname/MB name come from...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Alderon, Sep 7, 2010.

Where'd your handle/nickname/MB name come from...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Alderon, Sep 7, 2010.

1. Alderon

Alderon Veteran Member

So its tuesday, im bored out my f'n mind at work as its hella slow, so i figured id ask a random question that was of mild interest to me. So as the title states, where'd your message board name come from? how did you come up with it? etc...

To begin with, mine , contrary to what most people seem to think... has nothing to do with FUCKING STARWARS!!! I like the movies but thats the extent of my star wars knowledge. i know nothing in the way of planets, races, movie lines, etc... Alderon was my first MMO character ever that actually advanced at all. I played him on the morninghaw server of Asherons Call.

No special meaning at all, just a name i came up with, and have stuck with ever since.
  2. glow

glow AoA Emeritus

Re: Where'd your MB name come from...

So mine was glowtiger which came from me wearing tiger striped cammo to play paintball, that particular night we decided it would be cool to play with glow paint. Get it all charged up then run out and play in the darkness. It was actually fun as shit, but my nick name that night was glowtiger for obvious reasons. I may still have a pic of it, I should look :) Over the years, as online nicks tend to do, it shortened to glow. Pretty simple!
  3. Arcfire

Arcfire Guild Admin Staff Member

Similar to Aldy, Arcfire was the surname of my first ever Guild Wars character, way back in beta 2005. It was my first big online game (not counting silly Korean stuff) and when the beta was over I remade the warrior with the same name, Aramil Arcfire. The surname has stuck ever since, and I still play the same warrior today. I honestly just took two words that appealed to me an stuck them together. The name Aramil came straight out of D&D Player Handbook 3.0
  4. Alderon

Alderon Veteran Member

nice glow. ya you should find a picture.
  5. JSponge

JSponge Veteran Member

Where did my message board name come from. Well... It's not as exciting as you might think. LOL My nick-name in most of my online life is JSponge. It's kind of a two part explanation. The 'J' is actually my first initial, and the Sponge is a tribute to one of my favorite Radio guys, Bubba the Love Sponge. That's it. Like I said. Nothing real fancy about it. There you have it.
  6. Ragter

Ragter AoA Emeritus

You should the MB to your handle or nickname so it stands out more.

Tried making up unique handles so i can play in an mmo and. . . ragter worked and it stuck with me ever since. It's not super unique cuz there's some asshole out there who likes to use my handle.
  7. Spexs

Spexs Member

My Handle came about a couple of months after playing wow and wanted to start a new character.
    Wanting to make a gnome mage I started thinking about what would go well with the class/race. Figuring that Gnomes in wow specialize in gadgets and engineering I figure they really into the specs of gadgets so I figured Specs would be a cool name but it was taken.
    So I changed the c to an x and viola.
    But since then Spexs has caught on severely, leading to have to change my name again to Spexsy on the new wow server.

Also Samsung made a phone called the Spex [Links]
  8. stat

stat Division Leader

Mine came from the name of my first WoW character, Staticus. People called me stat for short and it just kinda stuck.
  9. Allomein

Allomein AoA Emeritus

Aameron Allomein was a name I used forever - started from D&D. I have had an Allomein of one form or another in every MMO and RPG I have played.
  10. HittingSmoke

HittingSmoke AoA Emeritus

My name has a history about as long as my time on the internet. When I was in about 6th or 7th grade I had a friend who started calling me Smokey one day. Apparently he thought I was a stoner (yes we had stoners in 7th grade, but I wasn't one of them... yet).

I had played Doom, Duke Nukem and Quake before but never had I played online until I bought the original Rainbow Six so I never needed any kind of online name. I'm terrible at thinking up names so all of my online names were less than clever takes on my school nick name Smokey.

When Xbox first came out and Live was launched of course Smokey was taken right out of the gate. Their nick name suggestion system had HittingSmoke right up at the top. By this time I was quite the pot head so I thought it was the most awesome name ever, especially since it was suggested by an Xbox Live computer.

By the time I was 19 I had quit smoking but the name had already stuck. For years I had to try and explain to people why my name was HittingSmoke but I didn't actually smoke anything.

Cut to today, if you google HittingSmoke you can find me all over the net. I like it much more than going by a bunch of different names and having to get people to recognize all of them.

I miss paintball. Used to go every weekend but it became too expensive after a while. Still have an A-5 I need to sell on ebay or something lol.
  11. Alderon

Alderon Veteran Member

thats the same for me. Since Asherons, if i sign up on a MB, a credit card (lol) an MMO, etc... or hell even on any game i can just make a name on, its alderon, and if thats taken for some reason, its alderonn, and if that doesnt work alder0n. One way or another i make it happen!! =P I even have an alderonnn out there somewehere! :lol:
  12. syberghost

syberghost Guild Admin Staff Member

I used to play a lot of combat flight simulators, especially Strike Commander. My handle in them was always "Ghost".

Then came the Internets, and "Ghost" had too many collisions, so my thought process was "this is Ghost for cyberspace, so it's Cyberghost. Hmm, I should misspell it to avoid collisions even more, and do the e e cummings thing with the capitalization for cool factor", and thus "syberghost" was born.

And then I found out some idiot in England used it. Oh well; I beat him to things about 95% of the time.
  13. Odissa

Odissa Veteran Member

Everyone has cool name stories except me really. Mine came from a baby name website.
    It was something I always wanted to name my little girl until my ex boyfriend one day said to me "It's going to be awesome I can do around saying "Odissa my baby right here" and I lost every single interest I ever had in it and then lost interest in him.
    So from there on I just decided to use it on the computer instead, mainly for gaming characters, and the only reason I used it on this forum is because when I joined you guys I joined on the fact that M (Sasha) had known me best by Odissa instead of what I normally go by which was Gestorter or GestorterEngel (meaning DisturbedAngel in german) which is what I went by when I was a youngster in my AOL days until I felt I needed a change and switched it to german.

So yeah, I have multiple forum names. Odissa, Arihanna (taken and twisted from Aurahona (popular girl on our server) in SWG, but that name was always taken when I tried so I made it Arihanna), Gestorter, GestorterEngel.
  14. Reyphoenix

Reyphoenix Veteran Member

I reversed the last 3 letters of my last name to arrive at the first name. Second name comes from a tattoo of a phoenix I have, which I have now used as my avatar
  15. Diablocoj

Diablocoj AoA Emeritus

I have stuck with this name in almost every game I have played, aside from GW. It derived from a statement my friend said back in junior high, "You are diabolical Coj!" (we had just recently discovered what the word even meant). Instead of going by Coj, I rearranged a few letters (making diablo) and added "coj" on the end. Coj is the beginning of my last name which even family and friends call me so it was fitting to add it. However, at first glace the name seems to say diabolical still keeping its roots.

Lets make this thread a sticky shall we?
  16. Enkida

Enkida Veteran Member

Made this name solely for my return to WAR. I'm a Classical Historian major with a minor in Archaeology so most of my names have some basis in ancient history. Enkidu was the companion for the great Sumerian King, Gilgamesh. He was a wild man, raised by beasts, who is trapped and becomes more civilized and finally dies as punishment from the Gods for killing the Bull that Ishtar, the Goddess, sent to punish Gilgamesh for spurning her.

Since my character is a woman and Enkidu is a Akkadian male name I changed the masculine "u" to a more feminine "a" et voila! A Witch Elf is born.

My normal boards name is "Mabd", but WAR wouldn't allow it and I didn't want to register a different name to my main on these boards.
  17. RIP

RIP Veteran Member

First this is the only board that allows me to use the name I have here. Most if not all boards starting about 3-4 years ago require that you have a minimum of 4-5 characters for a name and since I have been part of AoA for about 5 coming on 6 years now they made an exception and set it up so I could keep this name through the boards many transitions/upgrades/server changes. Now for the history of the name.

I moved around a lot through the course of my life and this nickname was originally given to me as an insult that transformed and turned to something that I made work for me garnering respect and various other things through the years. Many people that have seen the name thought it was really cool since I used it as my sig for many years. For those that are unsure of what sig represents, it is a term meaning your arcade signature. When you get top scores to place you name on the high score tables you get 3 characters to use which many used their initials for. For me it was RIP, and the majority of my gaming was done in the arcade through the 80's up to about 2000. Then I began into PC gaming and console gaming as the arcade life began to die off in North America.

Suffice to say the nickname RIP has represented a variety of things to a variety of people, but simply put it was originally given to me as an insult. 8)
  18. zenix

zenix Veteran Member

back when CS was still using WON for multiplayer, I needed a name and at the time I was using UbyDuby(pronounce oobydooby) and that was getting kind of annoying. Needing a new name I was thinking randomly about the simpsons where mr burns makes some joke about a zephyr and I don't remember but when thinking of a good name I combined phoenix and zephyr to make Zenix. Recently I have been using the name Skadex or Skade simply because having Zenic around with basically the same name is annoying and I figured I would find something new since he clearly didn't want to change his name upon joining AoA. Skade is an alteration of the word Skadi, this word comes from Norse mythology for the goddess Skadi, a goddess associated with bowhunting, skiing, winter, and mountains and it sounded cool.
  19. Awlbiste

Awlbiste Veteran Member

I used to go by a bunch of middle school stupid shit but this one I've had the longest, it's basically just a funny way to spell owlbeasts from WoW.
  20. HittingSmoke

HittingSmoke AoA Emeritus

You have no fucking idea how long I've been wondering this lol