While waiting for Neverwinter - Trying out Cryptics Champions Online

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mythoxxus, Mar 14, 2013.

While waiting for Neverwinter - Trying out Cryptics Champions Online

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mythoxxus, Mar 14, 2013.

1. Mythoxxus

Mythoxxus Veteran Member

I wanted to try out another Cryptic product while waiting for Neverwinter Online and Champions Online is really pretty decent.

Just wanted to share that news. I made a Bigfoot styled character named Mu-Jimi which is one of the Japanese names for Yeti.

Not sure if we have an AOA presence there but if we do let me know. Otherwise, I think you can solo through most of this game, if I am not mistaken.
  2. HittingSmoke

HittingSmoke AoA Emeritus

I've played it off and on. I have an awesome recreation of Radioactive Man but I never played him much because I didn't want to have him wiped for copyright reasons.

I didn't stick around though, the primary reason being they require you to actually subscribe to change power colors. That's such a simple and fundamental part of styling your character. I would have been willing to pay a couple of bucks to unlock it but it's not a game I ever see myself subscribing to.
  3. Gahd

Gahd Member

Played the crap out of beta, but they made one change before it went live that turned me off the game. It used to be a list of power types splitting them into groups, but you could then select any power from any type and combine them all into 1 character. I had a toon that had gadgets, minions and psychic powers along with a huge fireball.... It was fun as hell.

CoH in early beta was the same thing, and they later split it into power pools. While I enjoyed CoH a lot, CO never really had the same feel I got from CoH, and after they made that change I never really went back.

I did keep up on it, and they have done some awesome changes in the game. The travel powers alone are worth checking out and can be a lot of fun to use.
  4. HittingSmoke

Isn't that a premium feature now? IIRC it's extremely expensive but you can unlock completely free-form character slots.
  5. Gahd

Gahd Member

Not sure, if it is I honestly missed it. If my computer hadn't exploded, I might look into that tonight...
  6. HittingSmoke

I'm too lazy to go look right now I'm I'm fairly sure it's something like $50 per free-form character slot.
  7. syberghost

syberghost Guild Admin Staff Member

Subscribers get freeform as part of the deal.

For free players, a freeform slot is $50, and does *NOT* include power hue customization. Which is stupidly short-sighted.

I would far rather give them $50 one time than subscribe, but only if I get power hue customization, and so, I do neither.
  8. HittingSmoke

My thoughts on the subject precisely. It's not a game I'd subscribe to, but it's not a game I'd pay $50 for if they're going to keep out a very basic but key feature either.
  9. syberghost

And lest anybody think I'm cheap, I've subscribed before when actively playing, and I've spent at least a hundred dollars in their store, not to mention the $230 I've spent in Neverwinter so far, and probably well in excess of $500 in Star Trek Online.

Billions for defense, but not a dime in tribute. Or something.
  10. Deviantyoda

Deviantyoda Veteran Member

LOL Syberghost okay I gotta ask after the cautionary tale to get the 60 founder pack instead of buying the 200 dollar hero of the north pack...how the heck did you spend 230 dollars already in Neverwinter pre-release?! LOL sorry after our conversation the other day this had me laughing out loud a bit.

Deviantyoda
  11. syberghost

Oh, I have the $200 pack; I wasn't advising against it, I just don't want anybody thinking it's more than it is and being soured on a great game. :)

I've also put $30 of Zen from my reserve in. I'll get it back after launch to use for other stuff.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk HD
  12. Deviantyoda

Deviantyoda Veteran Member

See now based on that statement alone I now am forced by pride to also buy the 200 dollar pack. You are a terrible influence LOL!!
  13. Matt Treck

Matt Treck Veteran Member

I enjoyed Champions for awhile, but it got stale to me. Always enjoyed CoH more, dammit NCSoft. (Still a bit of a sour taste in my mouth.)

That being said, CO has improved A LOT since it was released. It's definitely not a bad game. Even tho some of their business practices are questionable.
  14. Omnifox

Omnifox Cylon - Toaster Model Staff Member

How so? I actually really do think that Cryptic does F2P pretty solid.
  15. Matt Treck

Matt Treck Veteran Member

For the most part they do. I'm not against their F2P model. Some of it I just don't agree with, like what they were discussing earlier in the thread.