Wireless card

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rhyus, May 15, 2018.

Wireless card

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rhyus, May 15, 2018.

1. Rhyus

Rhyus Veteran Member

Hey guys. Been a while since I posted something on here. But, I'm in the midst of moving, again, but this time I'm moving into a house with some friends and it seems like my room is not going to have a plug for a network cable, so, I'm going to probably need to get a wifi card for my desktop computer. I guess what I'd be looking for is one that is fast, powerful and can penetrate at least one floor, something that would be for gaming. Not exactly sure how far away the cable/wifi router is going to be at this time, so, that is why I said powerful and fast, because I'd be playing FPS games with it. Any and all suggestions are welcomed and if possible, give a reference to one from Amazon, as I might be able to put it on my wishlist and get someone to buy it for me.
  2. Fell

Fell Guild Admin Staff Member

I use:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01D...f_4?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=FT3KMV3K8MGF6D6QSNS6

With:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B017...rds=ea9500&dpPl=1&dpID=41gxRq2OQdL&ref=plSrch

That is a mimo setup, still quite expensive but optimizes signal to multiple simultaneous connections if you can get your roommates to spring for the router. Otherwise I’ve never bothered with internal cards. I’ve had luck with a usb antenna like this one I still use on occasion:
    https://www.amazon.com/Linksys-Dual-Band-Wireless-N-Adapter-AE3000/dp/B007ZLGXA8
    Rhyus likes this.
  3. Rhyus

Rhyus Veteran Member

So, I should only get the first one if I get the router as well or will it work just like the bottom one?
  4. Fell

Fell Guild Admin Staff Member

For MIMO to work you need it on both ends, router and access point. I suppose you could use the mimo access point with a conventional router but I don’t swear what results you’d get. It may perform slower overall when the router isn’t able to throw multiple signals at it. I like the last option because it allows you to place the antenna strategically as well (assuming you put it on a cable and antenna stand that comes with it)
    Rhyus likes this.
  5. HittingSmoke

HittingSmoke AoA Emeritus

A USB adapter is nice because you can run it through a USB extension cable for more optimal positioning. Usually the back of a desktop PC is not the best place for a wifi antenna.

An even better solution is a PCI-E card and a directional antenna pointed directly at the AP.

Realistically you won't have any idea what you need until you get set up and test the signal strength. There's no way to know without actual on-site numbers. There are too many variables. You might require 5Ghz due to the 2.4 band being saturated. In that case a directional antenna would be much more useful because of the higher frequency. The access point might be old garbage and you're completely shit out of luck on getting a good signal through a floor.

If the wiring in the house is good you can attempt powerline networking which will be much faster and more reliable, if it works. It's a hit or miss technology. You just have to try it.
    Rhyus, syberghost and Fell like this.
  6. syberghost

syberghost Guild Admin Staff Member

As I know that money is a constraint for you, you might see if you have a local friend who can bring over their own powerline equipment and test it on your lines. If it works, you know you're safe buying that same model online.

Otherwise, buy from somebody like Amazon and make sure you're checking the search box for only things sold BY them, not fulfilled by them, so you can get their superb replacement/refund polices. They treat their employees like robots so they can treat their customers like royalty. Usually they make good on the "fulfilled by" stuff too, but it can take several rounds of fuckery to get there.
    Rhyus and HittingSmoke like this.